Chapter 62

The Holy city was protected by the Holy Spirit of the ancestors rendering it absolutely safe from the hazards of Larks. The seeds awakened naturally around them, with no other reason but to exist. And as they served their own purpose, thus, an Anika’s power was not needed to germinate them for growth.

“I’m only saying this because I’m worried, Jin Anika. You don’t need to do anything you are unsure of,” said Kasser, the inflection in his tone telling her he was concerned.

“I’m not going to test the seed. I won’t.” She reassured him.

He looked into her eyes and when she didn’t flinch or look away, he was relieved.

“It’s for you. Ramita is water.”

Eugene recalled Marianne’s words. For Anikas, their Ramita manifests as an image of water, unique only to them.

“Water?” She repeated. “What do you mean?” she asked.

“Ramitas are divided into classes by the image of water they see. It’s odd to explain this to an Anika who would know best… but I’ll give it a go, assuming you don’t know anything.”

He looked at her and saw her thankful smile, so he began to explain as best as he could…

“Anikas are awakened when they reach the tender age of ten. Around this time, they experience a dream-like vision. Therein, they can estimate the power of their Ramita through what they see.

Some may see a reservoir, others a pond or even a well. But a simple fact is that the larger the body of water in their dreams, the higher the class and the greater the Anika’s powers.

However, Ramitas are still finite, just like any body of water. One must always be mindful of how much they use it, lest their Ramita runs out.”

“Ah, I see…” Eugene mumbled quietly deep in thought as a slight shiver ran down her spine.

She’d originally thought the Class of Ramitas was only known to the Sang-je. Was this another deviation from the novel’s plotline, the one she had written and believed she knew the best?

This was one of the most important details in the story!

Why don’t I know any of this? She plunged into frustration. What about Flora? She wondered.

Flora was the main character in her novel. She was the only Anika powerful enough to fight against Jin Anika, who had become an incarnation of the dark force, Mara. Flora’s Ramita was mighty, and yet, her Ramita wasn’t spared for the sole reason of defeating the Army of Mara. Nobody, not even the Sang-je, warned her about the excessive use of her Ramita.

Was Flora different? Was she special because she was the main character?

“Then, what happens when you use all the powers?” Eugene asked.

“I don’t know. But it wouldn’t be ideal.” Kasser continued. “Ramitas are what you are born with. It’s a part of you. If that part of you goes empty, it will most probably create imbalance… one you cannot bear.”

“Like when you use up all the groundwater and the surface begins to cave in?”

“Yes, that’s a perfect analogy.”

Eugene paused and thought things over, but was just unable to hold in her frustration. This was a novel she had created herself. Why didn’t she know anything about it?!

“I don’t understand why I can’t remember anything.” She whispered in vexation.

Kasser mistook this as exasperation over her memory loss. And it hurt him that he couldn’t comfort her with all his support, especially since part of him did not want her to regain her memory. He liked her now, unlike when she was back then.