Right when the release bell rang, Lucy shot out of her seat, darting out of the door before her teacher could even finish saying goodbye. Every other student seemed to have the same enthusiasm as her as they spilled out of the classrooms and fled the school.

There was a mob of people crowding the front of the building. Friend groups were gathered and papers were strewn everywhere. Lucy stood on her tiptoes and scanned the crowds for a certain brunette and blonde.

She was picked up from behind and spun in the air, a face burrowing in her hair as she laughed. She immediately knew exactly who was behind her. "Bucky! Put me down!"

He followed her command, gently placing her back on the ground before spinning her around to face him. "How the hell did you know it was me?"

Truthfully, she could identify Bucky in a million different ways, even if blind. His cologne smelt like pine, capturing the aroma of a forest just after it had rained. His touch was unique too. She could never mistake his calloused yet gentle hands for another, or the way that his cold watch was always on his left wrist.

Those were all the little things that made Bucky himself. These characteristics that her love-induced brain would never allow her to forget.

In response to his question, she just shrugged, poking a hand at his chest. "I can read minds."

Bucky chuckled, putting his hands up in surrender. "Okay, miss wizard."

Steve pulled them both with him, walking away from the school and towards the station. "Come on! We've gotta catch the train!" 

───

After getting off of the train, they only had to walk a short distance to get to the beach. Lucy took her shoes off when she reached the sand, sighing in satisfaction when she felt the warm grains underneath the soles of her feet. She took a deep breath in, closing her eyes and letting the breeze blow her hair all over.

When she turned back around, Steve and Bucky were laying on the grass right behind the beach, sprawled out like two starfish. She giggled, kicking Bucky's foot with her own. "Do you two need a nap?"

Steve nodded frantically while keeping his eyes closed. "Yes please."

Bucky had a different idea. He set himself up with a groan, feebly putting out a hand for Lucy to take. "Help me up, darlin'?"

He had that cute smile plastered on, the one that she couldn't help but give into. She let out a fake sigh and grasped his hand, beginning to pull him to his feet.

All of Bucky's strength seemed to return as he tugged her down to the ground, catching her off guard. He was originally aiming for her to land right between him and Steve on the grass, but instead, she stumbled and landed right on top of him.

"Bucky!"

Steve opened one eye, peeking over at his two best friends and smiling.

For a guy who was so inexperienced with women, he sure knew two lovesick idiots when he saw them.

Bucky wrapped one arm around her while she was still on top of him, using the other to push her platinum hair out of her face. Lucy propped herself up on her elbows, narrowing her eyes at him. "What should we do next?"

Steve rolled over onto his side. "We should walk along the boardwalk. Maybe get some hot dogs?"

Bucky gave him a teasing smirk. "Steve and his hotdogs, a true love story."