Chapter 31 ~ What in the World is Wrong with This Broccoli?

Start from the beginning

"T-That's... A-After meeting that girl, V-V-Valerie has been going to the research library less and less... I-I-I haven't met her in a while..."

"And because you haven't met my daughter, you challenge Alterisa-kun to a duel after finding out about their relationship?"

"Y-Y-Yes..."

...What the hell? He's mad at me because Valerie-chan has been going less and less to the research library?

Are they that close already?

"Valerie-chan, are you close with him?"

I whispered.

"No. I don't even know his name. I think I've only ever let him borrow the book I just finished reading."

Eeehhhh... Then aren't they just strangers? They're not even friends yet, but why is he getting this upset?

...He's such a pain.

"I don't recall you being in such a close relationship with my daughter that you would lose control over your emotions because of this."

"T-That's..."

Ah, so he knows it as well... He knows that he's not that close to Valerie but still got lost in the moment and raised his voice at me.

He must think of Valerie as his friend.

After all, it seemed almost no one talked to him during his childhood. He has such an antisocial personality, and in addition to the fact that he was a magic prodigy and became a candidate for the royal court magicians at such a young age, no one dared approach or made friends with him.

Then, when he finally mustered up the courage to call out to Valerie, she treated him kindly like the angel she is, which made him think they're friends.

Now, seeing as Valerie became busy with our lessons with Lawliela-sama, he became mad, thinking it was me who stole her away from him...

Has he always been this emotionally unstable? Hm... I can't remember how he was very well. I've always remembered him as the quiet guy who's magic is the only one on par with Alexus.

Hm... Now that I think about it, that meeting might be the start of their love for each other.

Then, because of how close they are, Lawliela-sama and Wilhelm's parents agreed to engage their son and daughter with each other.

Valerie kept looking at him with a pout.

Aww~ How cute~ Her cheeks look so squishable~!!!

"Now apologize to Alterisa-kun as well as my daughter."

"Y-Yes!"

The trembling broccoli turned to us, still in his kneeling position, and apologized by bowing his head.

"I-I apologize for my previous behavior!"

Hah... Well, he is still a kid. I guess being scolded once by Lawliela-sama would be enough for him to rethink everything and reflect on himself.

Lawliela-sama then turned and stared at me.

Ah... Right. I'm the one he fault, so I'm the one who'll decide if he's to be forgiven or not.

Well, I really don't want to get into too much trouble with a capture target so I guess I'll forgive him. Who knows how dangerous it would be to have a captured target resent me and hold a grudge against me...

Though Valerie seemed to not want to forgive him... Well, good luck, broccoli~! It's your fault in the first place~

"Apologies accepted, Orythium-sama. While I do not understand the reason behind your previous behavior, I am willing to let this occasion become water under the bridge this time. However, please understand that you may not be pardoned that easily if you showed such a disgraceful figure of yourself towards another lady, especially one of higher standing."

"I-I-I understand..."

"Mm. I'm glad you understand."

That should be fine right...?

...Eh? W-Why are you smirking at me mischievously, Lawliela-sama? T-That's not a glint I saw in your eyes, right?

"It seems that Alterisa-kun is magnanimous enough to forgive your behavior, but I am not. As your punishment, you shall write a five page letter of apology towards Alterisa-kun as well as serve as her practical magic lesson training dummy."

""Eh?!""

No no no, what do you mean, Lawliela-sama?! Practical magic lesson training dummy... Isn't that just giving him his wish of fighting me multiple times?!?!?!?!

Seeing me dumbfounded, Lawliela-sama smirked at me once again.

"Consider it an addition to our practical magic lessons, Alterisa-kun. I'm looking forward to see you true prowess in a magical duel against your fellow prodigy."

K-Kuuuh!!!! I'm mad, but I can't deny how sexy she looks right now!! She's so pushy, but that also makes her even sexier!

W-Will my little cheerful bundle of joy here turn into a sexy, foxy lady in the future too?!?!

I looked at Valerie, hoping she could help me with this situation and convince Lawliela-sama to retract at least the second part of that broccoli's punishment.

But...

"Wooow~ Can I see Alterisa-chan use magic for real~??"

N-Nooo!!!!! My last bastion of hope has betrayed me!!!

D-Don't look at me with those cute, big, innocent eyes! Don't make them sparkle in excitement! This will be such a pain!!!

While I do want to improve my magic combat, I can just practice with Lu-nii, Alexus, or even Valerie!

"Think of it as practice against a mage with affinity to an element you are weak against, Alterisa-kun. You need to learn how to fight against and protect yourself from your element's weakness. This would be a great opportunity for you."

K-Kuuhh... That's true...

Rather than fighting against a real enemy with an affinity to earth without any experience, it's better to learn about this element match up now before it is too late. But... It'll still be such a pain!

No matter if I win or lose, he'll become such a pain. I remember him being the sore loser character in the game. When he loses, he'll always ask for a rematch until he wins.

Aaahhh... Lu-nii... Alex, save me...

I'm done...

I can't, anymore...

I just want to enjoy life snacking on sweet treats surrounded by my cute girl friends...

But looking at Lawliela-sama's gaze...

Guh! It's not use!

"I-I understand..."

I sighed in resignation.

"Good. Then, the first practice battle will be now. The two of you, get ready."

""Huh?!""

"Yaaayy~ I'll get to see Alterisa-chan's magic~"

Afterword:

"...I'll get you back for this, author."

Wha-?! W-What did I do?!

"...You know what."

...O-Okay, I do. But it's just for some fun!!! Don't you want to show off your magic?!

"You're right... This might be a good opportunity."

Right?! S-So put that club down, okay...?

"...You're lucky."

Hyiiiiiii!!! Stop glaring at me like that!