Chapter 13:Instincts

Soon after Anthony went downstairs everyone was told to leave

Soon after Anthony went downstairs everyone was told to leave. He walked back to the inn and fell asleep thinking about Amelia.

He woke up suddenly hearing chaos outside and a ringing of a bell. He threw on his robe and ran outside to see many racing towards the school with big buckets.

His legs were going faster than ever before as he ran towards the school but stopped in his tracks when he saw it. The school was covered with thick smoke and surrounded by flames. Men were throwing water onto the burning house, but the fire was too big to control.

"Is everyone out?" He heard someone ask Miss Andrews who he had met at the party.

"No, Amelia's still in the building," he heard a young girl cry. Miss Andrews wrapped her shawl around the girl and walked away trying to comfort her.

Before he could think he ran into the building before anyone could stop him. The building was smoky and he could barely see anything. He coughed and covered his mouth with his sleeve as he found his way to the stairs and began walking up. He had no idea where her room was and if she was even in it.

He opened the doors of the upstairs and quickly closed them making sure the fire couldn't be spread due to oxygen. He was very light-headed when he opened the door of Amelia's room to find her laying in the bed. She looked unconscious when he turned her over, but she was having a coughing fit. That relieved him a lot knowing she was still breathing.

He took her into his arms and carried her to the stairs. Anthony was very dizzy at this point and he could barely see anything. He ran towards the door avoiding the wood that was falling from the ceiling. Once he made it outside he placed her on the ground then falling to the ground himself. He was on his knees having a coughing fit. Miss Andrews and the girl raced towards both of them.

"Thank you so much, " Miss Andrews cried and grabbed Anthony's cheeks kissing them. He smiled before collapsing onto the ground, unconscious.

——

Amelia's eyes shot open and immediately coughed. Her throat felt so dry. Someone immediately hadn't her some water which she gulped down. "Thank you," her voice was hoarse and she could barely talk without her throat burning. She coughed more until someone handed her another water and put another pillow behind her back.

She tried to thank them but was quickly shushed. "You shouldn't be talking," a voice said. She recognized Anthony's voice and quickly turned to look at his face. His voice was hoarser than usual, but he smiled as soon as Amelia looked at him.

She looked at him with confusion and apparently he knew what she was wondering because he answered straight away, "there was a fire...in the school," Amelia nearly broke down. The school had been her home for years and it was now all gone. Anthony noticed her distress and held her hand squeezing it.

He moved her hair out of her eyes and told her everything was going to be fine. The nurse and doctor then came in ruining their moment. "You're very lucky this man save you. I'm not sure how much longer your lungs could've stood the smoke," the doctor said as he felt her throat. Amelia looked over at Anthony, he had no idea that he was the one that saved her.

"I'm afraid that you do have some lung damage," the doctors said. She looked at Anthony with worry. "It doesn't seem too bad, but our little hospital lacks the knowledge to properly help you,"

"What does that mean?" Anthony spoke for her because she couldn't talk.

"I have a friend in London that specializes in lungs. It's a long way, but I believe it would beneficial for a specialist to look at your lungs. You both inhaled a lot of smoke," Anthony and Amelia looked at each other. "I'll give you some time to think,"

Anthony walked over to Amelia and took her hand. Amelia couldn't imagine being back in London. She never wanted to go back, especially after she left so abruptly. Also if she arrived in London with Anthony, she would be in the same predicament as when she left. What she was trying to escape from.

She looked down at her hand which was interlocked with Anthony's. She had never felt so confused. She felt something was pulling her back, telling her to stay in Cyprus to help rebuild the school, but she had very felt so warm and protected in Anthony's grasp. She hated to admit it, but when she saw him at the party she was relieved. It was like he broke her out of a cage, a cage she didn't even know she was in.

"I'll let you rest," Anthony said as he stood up, but Amelia pulled him down resulting in their lips connecting. They both pulled away before lining in again making their kiss deeper.

"Please, stay," she chocked out once they both pulled away.

"Whatever you say, love," Anthony said before moving the chair closer to her bed.

——

That morning fog had blanketed Cyprus. Anthony had left Amelia reluctantly at the hospital so she could "talk" with the doctor. She was still struggling to talk and now breathe. They had to act fast if they were going to make it to London, ships to London only came once a few months, but thankfully one was coming tomorrow.

Anthony walked over to the school where people were going through the rumble. The 3 story building was almost completely burned and what was left was mostly old burned pieces of wood. He walked through the rubble hoping to find anything of Amelia's. She now had nothing, she had lost all her belongings in the fire.

He found burnt pieces of paper with small almost invisible drawings, what looked like scraps of dresses, and some paintbrush handles that no longer had bristles, but nothing salvageable.

The sun had come out through the fog illuminating the rubble. This resulted in something to shine. He dug through the wood before he found a shiny object. It was a necklace, the tulip on the chain was now black and burnt, but on the back, Amelia's engraved name and birthdate were still visible.

Anthony walked back to the hospital holding the necklace close to his chest. Before arriving at the hospital he stopped by the flower shop and bought a dozen of tulips.

Amelia was asleep when Anthony walked into her room. He placed the flower near the bed with the necklace and sat down next to her bed after kissing her forehead. This resulted in her eyes fluttering open and she took his hand as soon as she noticed him.

He handed her the necklace as soon as she woke up. This made her almost cry, she had pulled the necklace off her in a fit of rage last night and she thought she lost it forever. She held it close to her heart then said softly, "I'm going to London,"

All Anthony did was nod before Amelia closed her eyes again.