Chapter 1: The Beginning

She ran as soon as she heard

She ran as soon as she heard. She did not care that she was only in her nightgown and people would obviously see. She needed to be there for them, for him. She pushed past the servants at the door and she saw him, Anthony Bridgerton.

He was sitting on the stairs, head in his hands. He looked up when he heard the door open. His eyes were red and puffy, but he was still the Anthony she knew.

He met her in the middle of the Fourier and hugged her. "He's dead, Amelia," Anthony whispers into her ear as his arms wrap tighter around her. "He died... from a bee sting," she already knew that he was dead, in the Ton news traveled quickly, but this was the first time she had heard how. She was confused, she had never heard of someone dying from a bee sting.

"Shhh," Amelia responded trying her best to comfort Anthony she rubbed his back. After a few seconds, Anthony let go of her. He wiped the tears from his eyes while Amelia straightened her nightgown.

"Everybody in there. Expect Gregory, whose with the nanny and Mama is upstairs in her room," Anthony said in a hoarse voice pointing to the informal sitting room, she had been in there many times before. Amelia put her hand on Anthony's back. She hadn't heard Anthony call Violet Mama since they were kids.

"Let's get everyone to bed," Amelia whispered trying to help any way she could. She took Anthony's hand as they walked towards the sitting room where everyone was.

She walked into the sitting room filled with the people she considered her second family. They were all hugging on the couch, Daphne, Eloise, and Francesca were crying while Colin and Benedict were trying to stay brave for their sisters. None of them were surprised to Amelia, she was basically another sister to them. She was always at their house having tea or there visiting so their siblings could play. Anthony found her presence comforting and took it into his own hands to tell her she was always welcome.

"Everybody to bed. We'll talk about everything in the morning," Anthony said somewhat confidently. The girls stood up slowly leaving Benedict and Colin on the couch. Colin began to protest his brother, but Anthony was having none of it. Amelia was worried that Anthony was going to lose his temper. He was known for that in his teenage years. But to her surprise, he stayed calm. "I promise we'll talk about everything in the morning. Everyone right now is too tired to think clearly,"

Colin was about to open his mouth again, but Amelia interrupted, "Come on girls, I'll help get you ready for bed. I think your brothers need to have some time alone" Daphne, Eloise, and Francesca followed her out into the hall as Amelia closed the door of the sitting room. Francesca rubbed her eyes and yawned as Amelia scooped her up into her arms. "Go to your rooms, I'll be in shortly," Amelia told Daphne and Eloise.

By the time Amelia got to Francesca's room. Francesca was asleep in her arms. Amelia placed Francesca into her bed carefully and kissed her on the forehead before leaving her room.

Next, she went to Eloise's room, who in her bed with the covers over her head. Amelia closed the door quickly before going into Daphne's room.

Daphne was sitting on the edge of her bed staring at the fireplace. "I don't understand. How could he have died from a bee? He was stung before and he was fine," Daphne said quietly. Amelia went over to Daphne's bed and put her arm around the girl.

"Sometimes life cannot be explained," Amelia whispered as Daphne got into bed and pulled the covers up to her chin.

She knew how to comfort children. she had a lot of practice with her younger siblings, who many described as moody and out of control compared to the well behaved children of the Viscount and Viscountess Bridgerton. The Bridgertons were always know as the perfect family with beautiful daughters and handsome sons which greatly enraged her father. He wanted his family to be like that, but they were simply not.

She walked downstairs as quietly as she could, prepared to leave so she wouldn't bother Anthony, but then someone took her hand. She knew it was Anthony, she got quite used to his hand when they were younger. It was soft and he always rubbed her thumb as soon as he grabbed it. It had always been a comfort. He led her to the room where his father laid and stared at his father's body barely blinking.

When Amelia looked down at the body, the body of Edmund Bridgerton she finally broke. Edmund had always been kind to her. She remembered when she and Anthony were kids, their families would promenade together. Edmund would always joke that a maiden would need saving and Anthony would come over to Amelia and tell her she was safe and promised to protect her. Edmund treated Amelia like a daughter, especially before they were blessed with Daphne.

Edmund had always been warmer to her than her actual father was. He would tell stories, he was a brilliant storyteller. Amelia remembered the voices that he used to make for the different characters making her chuckle in her mind.

Many would think she was jealous of the Bridgertons and how close there family was, but in a way she was part of their family, in a different way. They never failed to invite her to dinner or tea and they always acted informally when she was around.

Amelia was woken up from her memories when Anthony started to walk out of the room. Once he reached the door he held his hand out for Amelia to take, which she did. Before they left, Amelia took one last glance at the body as she wiped the tears forming in her eyes.