Chapter 1- Socks, Secrets and Scares

Angela's P.O.V

   This morning I was so awake I woke up an hour before I left for school. I was able to go over to my closet and pick out my favorite pair of jean shorts sitting on the floor and then I plucked my favorite brown and green floral tank-top off it's hanger with a skinny brown belt around the waist. Then I braided my long, blonde locks of hair down my back and slid on a white plastic headband. I go over to my dresser for a pair of crazy colored socks and open the drawer...

   "Mom, Charlie took a pair of my socks again", I shout as I stomp out of my room. My little brother, I swear is going to be the death of me. He loves the idea of taking my things from my room and leaving them all over the house. I think he gets it from his dad, because our dad was always caught with some crime up his sleeve and some cash that came with it.

My father was in and out of jail like people were in and out of bad restaurants. He didn't stay there for long, but he did go back as much as he could afford to. Of course, my mother knew all about how he shouldn't have spent so much time with us, because his habits could ware off into us. Unfortunately, our father's visits to us came to a stop when one night a couple years ago my mother packed up as much as our mini van could carry of our little house and we moved across the country. I can't quite figure out where we used to live, never have, but I do know that we are probably in a lot better place than before. Its been around eight years since I've seen him and he hasn't been mentioned around here since.

"I just wanted to make a puppet show for Mr. Crackers", he whispers as he follows me down the hall. Apparently, Mr. Crackers was this stuffed giraffe that our dad gave to him when he was born, before we left him. Funny, we look more like him than our mother, and her mom. I just grab another pair of socks, shove my feet in my black converse, and grab a granola bar out of the cabinet. Then I shuffle out to the garage and unlock my bike from the rack.

"Hey Angela", calls my best friend Sidney as she catches up to me a half hour later in the school's parking lot. We have been best friends since primary school so we were super close and were like sisters. I purposely made a dramatic sigh so she knew that something was up.

"So, what's up with Charlie now?", she asks. She always knows when I'm upset about something as little as my brother.

"I swear that boy is going to drive me insane", I said.

"I don't know how you let a nine year old drive you crazy".

"He's ten, and anyways he takes my stuff all the time and it's like he does it on purpose to bug me out of my mind".

"Well maybe if you told him to ask you he would".

"You think I haven't tried that before?"

"Good point, never mind". As we talked about our physics homework we walked past the big Apple on the sidewalk, through the double doors and into Apple Myers High School which was unfortunately filled with boring Tech Ed teachers and loud Algebra teachers.

"Miss Thompson, would you mind telling the class what the capital of Maine is?", Mr. Charlie asks. I wasn't paying attention to the teacher as usual, and just chatting with my friend Amanda. As soon as my name was called, I flipped my head around to see what was going on.

"Is it...Augusta?", I replied, peeking at my textbook.

"Yes, please try to pay more attention next time"

"K, Mr. C", I said. Amanda walks up to me in the parking lot stuffing her books in her backpack.

"Ok, you're so lucky I loaned you my textbook last night. Mr. C was about to send you out", Amanda warns me.

"Thanks, my brother used mine as a coloring book several times. Besides, Mr. C loves me. Why else would he call on me for half the questions?", I asked.

"Because he knows your one step away from failing the class so he wants to catch you in the act. Anyways, were you feeling alright in class today?"

"Look, I kept zoning out because I'm just tired, why?"

"Well you looked like you had red splotches all over your face", Amanda said.

"Then how come I didn't feel anything when I was sitting there? Listen I'll talk to you later I have to go", I said trying to get out of this conversation.

"Okay, but Ben and Margaret were giving you weird looks too and a bunch of people down the hallway", Amanda said.

"Probably out of jealousy, haha", I said sarcastically flipping my blonde hair. I hopped on my bike, driving between the cars as I rode home.

"What is with that girl? I swear she is stranger than strange", I said to myself as I pulled into my driveway. I lived in one of those sad neighborhoods where you can barely see the sky because trees of amazing heights are covering everything, the houses even have vines spreading all over the roofs.

"Angie! You're home from school", I hear Charlie shout as soon as I open the front door. He stumbles from the couch to greet me with a big hug around the legs. I notice that his favorite show is on, SpongeBob Squarepants. As I stare down at those big, blue eyes, I notice that he's looking back at me with fear.

"Mommy?!", he asks heading towards the stairs.

"Charlie, what's the matter?", I ask feeling a little guilty that I'm scaring my brother and I just walked in the door.

"Charlie, honey why did you just yell my... oh my heavens Angela, what happened to your face?", my mom says walking down the steps. As soon as she saw me standing there, she gasped, clenching onto the railing of the steps.

"What are you talking about? My face is a little splotchy, so what? It was really hot today", I said as I turn around to check myself in the mirror behind me and I see that my face is a darker shade of red then when I woke up this morning. I didn't know what else to do besides turn around and stare at my terrified mom and little brother.

"Listen... Angela you're... grandma Rose wants you to... call... her and please do it...umm... soon", my mom said as she picked up Charlie and headed upstairs practically two steps at a time.

"Mom, why are you getting so freaked out? My face is a little red, big deal. Besides Grandma can wait", I said to the slamming of her bedroom door.

That was so weird, what is going on? I ran up to my room and shut the door closed for the rest of the night, not bothering to call my grandma.

I have recently changed my story and most of the details. Feel free to reread it to catch up on the recent changes and to leave any comments or questions. That chapter was pretty long for the first one, but their not all going to be like that. Please make sure to keep reading and I promise that I will update soon so you won't get bored. Also, the picture to the right is of Angela's shirt that she wears. I posted the characters' actors if you wanted to see what they would look like. ~HLeeR~