Mirabelle

Tom had given you a few days to yourself, allowing you to rest and think about what you have learnt on your trip to Hogwarts. You came to the conclusion that Dumbledore must indeed have been jealous, decades of experiences have suddenly been matched by a teenager, who wouldn't be irritated by that? On top of that was Tom well-liked by absolutely everyone but him and by now you knew Tom well enough to form your own opinion which deviated wildly from Dumbledore's. Somewhat to your own displeasure. Tom valued you, yes, might even consider you a friend but that's where it ended for him, he shot down your advances often enough for you to notice even if he never explicitly told you about his lack of interest.

He asked you to meet him at Borgin and Burkes later this day to seal a deal, he would be alone in the shop and so you could use that space to discuss where to go next afterwards.

Knockturn Alley still gave you the creeps, nobody would be able to convince you that there wasn't a single person who wasn't involved in some shady business. Tom was no exception, whether out of his own volition or because his employers urged him to. More than once did someone hidden in the shadows try to sell you illegal potions, if they even were legit, you had your doubts about that.

You arrived at the store just in time, Tom was already stashing away the papers he would need. When you entered he looked up at you and shot you his signature smile.

"How do you feel about Apparition?," he asked.

"I suppose we could try, I should be fine as long as we don't keep hopping around the country in one day."

"No, just this once and back again, I promise. We won't even be leaving London, she lives in the city."

"Is this about the cup?"

"No, patience with that, it takes a lot of preparation to get something like that, I don't want to mess it up. This is about a Foe-Glass, owned by a young woman. Mr. Burke has heard of it and asked me to make sure she is willing to sell to him."

He held out his hand to you and you grabbed it, the familiar feeling of being crushed suffocated you but it was gone as quickly as it came and you found yourself in front of a stone cottage, music was coming out of the open window, accompanied by a lovely singing voice. Tom knocked on the door, first the singing stopped and then the music. When the door opened your eyes fell onto a beautiful woman around your age, she looked at you and then her doe eyes fell onto Tom, the smile forming on her lips turned your stomach into a knot.

Tom bowed his head and introduced both of you, letting her know that you were sent by Mr. Burke. She stepped aside and led you into her kitchen, on the table was a wooden box, the lid open so you could see the mask inside.

"Mr. Burke and I have already talked about the mask," she said, offering you a seat.

You sat down at the table and watched Tom's puzzled expression as he regarded the mask, still standing behind his chair, gripping the back rest so tight that his knuckles turned white.

"Is something wrong with it?," the young woman asked, following his gaze. "It is the mask he requested, isn't it?"

His gaze traveled up to her and then focused on something behind her, his features softening in an instant. You followed his eyes to an object on the wall, it looked like a mirror but instead of showing what's in front of it, it was just milky white, vague shadows dancing inside.

"Everything alright," he finally said and sat down across from you. "Shall we discuss the price then?"

"Getting right to business, I like it," she said with a giggle.

While they were negotiating, you stared out the window, watched the trees on the other side of the street move in the wind, the colorful leaves where whirling around in the air, at least the few that weren't stuck in the mud after weeks of rain. Out of the corner of your eyes you saw them sticking their heads together over a parchment, discussion still going on.