The Leaky Cauldron

As you had planned you came back to Borgin and Burkes two days later. In broad daylight Diagon Alley had been even more charming, just like you remembered it from school days, meanwhile Knockturn Alley appeared to look even worse, the shop keepers didn't bother with keeping their shop front neat, wood splintering beneath washed out colors, you saw a shop sign hanging from one chain, the other snapped, and you had to turn your head to read the sign.

You entered the shop and immediately spotted the handsome man you were looking for, he was talking to a man around his age. Tom looked up from their conversation, he smiled when he spotted you and then turned back to the man who handed him a small package.

"That would be all, Avery," he said and the man named Avery bowed and left the shop, shooting you a quick glance on his way out.

Tom went to the counter to put away the package and you followed him.

"I did not expect you back so soon," he said. "But I am pleased."

"The sooner the better, I wanted to see your precious artifacts before someone else could lay hands on them," you replied with a smile.

"Ah, you're smart," Tom replied, his tone however seemed unimpressed. "Follow me then."

Tom opened the door behind him, leading you into a small room in the back, it was filled with boxes stacked upon boxes, covered by just as much dust as the shop front, and there were a few display cabinets standing near the back wall, in them various objects rested on a cushion. He paused in front of the first one.

"Do you know what this is?," he asked, looking at you expectantly.

You stepped closer to take a good look, it was a simple silver pendant, small white gems were ingrained along the rim.

"I fear I don't. It does look familiar but I can't put my finger on it."

A proud smile hushed over his face.

"The pendant is said to having been Merlin's himself, various protection charms cast on it. Nothing dark about it but very valuable should it turn out to be true, I'm not certain about it yet however."

"If not you can still sell it as jewelry," you said with a giggle.

Tom didn't react, instead he stepped up to the next cabinet, inside was an opal necklace. You pressed your nose against the glass to admire its details.

"It's pretty."

"Pretty deadly," Tom replied. "There is a curse on it, the necklace has already killed a few muggles and it always finds its way back to us."

"And yet you sell it?"

"For now it's back here, isn't it? I don't make the rules here but it's not being sold to just about anyone, rest assured."

You got one more look at it and then followed Tom to the next display, a wooden mask with black lines going from the center to the edges, it looked like a black sun with rays.

"This is an ancient mask, I acquired it a few days ago and have yet to find out its origins but there is a curse on it that allows the owner of the mask to control whoever is wearing it," Tom said and you could have sworn he looked you up and down.

Heat crept into your face and you took a deep breath, gluing your gaze to the mask and avoiding making eye contact with Tom. He really shouldn't make you feel this way, especially not after that but something about him was absolutely intoxicating. You couldn't decide whether it was his handsome and sharp features, that soft dark hair and smooth voice or rather how he carried himself in general, as if he commanded the room and knew perfectly well about the effect he had on others and was yet apathic towards that. He was quite obviously educated which didn't help matters. Quickly, you shook these thoughts off and straightened your back.