Chapter Twenty-Six

As Emma crept toward thirty-eight weeks pregnant, Regina found herself attached to her girlfriend's side. She needed to be present at all times, ensuring that Emma wouldn't randomly pass out cold from the lack of energy. Their daughter was proving just how powerful she truly is and it was all coming at the cost of Emma's well-being. However, Regina was managing to keep a smile on her face, refusing to show even a glimpse of how terrified she really was deep down.

All because deep, deep down, she was petrified.

Emma heaves out an aggravated sigh as Regina slips into the driver's seat. Without a second thought, she's leaning over the center console and placing her hands upon Emma's very swollen bump. Her thumbs sweep tenderly while she summons her magic and pours as much love and strength into Emma and Autumn. The former sheriff sighs in relief, her head falling back against the seat, her eyes fluttering closed to bask in the comfort and security.

"Thank you," Emma practically moans, diving forward to capture Regina's plump lips.

Regina nods curtly, slowly extracting herself from her lover, against her will, because their bond has been...well, obsessive as of lately. It's not something she's really accustomed to, truthfully, she never thought she would ever feel this connected and attached to another human and she's slightly panicking, wondering if this will be the new norm after Autumn is born?

She starts the car and as soon as her hand is free, Emma is slithering her fingers between hers and resting their hands in her lap.

"So, you've kinda been quiet," Emma tentatively acknowledges while Regina focuses on her driving. "Is there something you wanna talk about? Are you nervous now?"

"No," Regina vows, guiding their hands away from Emma's lap, so she can press a delicate kiss to those swollen fingers. "I'm excited that we chose a date and she will be here with us this time next week," she insists.

"But..."

"Nothing."

"Bull. Not only is my inner lie detector going haywire but I can feel how uneasy you really are," Emma rebuttals, stubborn as ever.

"I'm just worried about you and how much magic our baby is going to steal from you during her birth."

"That's why we decided on the scheduled c-section to avoid any hiccups," she plainly says as if this is all no big deal at all and Regina has to fight against the urge to shake her very pregnant girlfriend.

"I understand, but I'm still concerned. So many things could go wrong during the delivery-"

"Gina, so many things could go wrong during a normal pregnancy and delivery. It's just life but I'm not worried," she states with conviction, squeezing Regina's hand for added comfort and support.

"You're not?"

"Nope," and Emma flashes that cheeky little grin that invades her entire face and always convinces Regina's heart to thump a little faster. "Not with you by my side. I know you have my back and you won't let anything happen to me."

"Never," Regina softly, yet sternly promises.

"I know, baby."

"Unless you continue to call me that, then you will be suffering by my own hands."

Emma chuckles, grinning wildly at the side of Regina's face. "I know, baby," she muses once more just to annoy her.

~~~~

"Are you just tired or magically drained?" Regina softly questions from upon the couch with Emma's head resting against her shoulder.