•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 21•

Start from the beginning

I hope you can forgive me dad, because I'm still trying to forgive you.

But you'll always be my fireworks, my ice cream, my Summertime Wednesday...and my safe place.

I love you.

• • • •

I signed my name at the bottom of the letter, folded it and placed it into the envelope Dr. Sullivan handed me.

I stood slowly -taking a cleansing breath- and headed to the door.

"See you next week."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA•

Matías' POV

Read 11:34

The unforgiving black time stamp popped up under my nth attempt to talk to Monroe. My eyes stared at the third unanswered blue bubble on my screen.

I hadn't spoken to her in a week, and couldn't help but cycle through the last time we went out. Maybe Seb was right, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I needed answers.

"Anyway, so I told her it was literally one of the best comics on there."

"Mhm." I vacantly kept the convo going between me and Olivia.

"Mat, you weren't even listening."

I popped a piece of watermelon in my mouth and nodded.

"My bad."

Olivia chuckled and snagged a piece of watermelon for herself. I had been wanting to ask about Monroe since I walked in an hour ago, but I was tired of appearing desperate. Sebastian told me it wasn't a good look.

"Alright out with it." Olivia's words jogged me back to reality.

"What?"

"You're thoughts are literally screaming at me."

"It's nothing." I lied as I shook my head and reached for another watermelon cube.

Olivia jerked the bowl away.

"You dare hold food from an Italian man?"

"Italian yeah, I don't know how much man is there." She gave a childish grin.

"Ask Monroe. She'll tell you how much man." I winked and snuck a piece of fruit to my twisted smirk.

Olivia's jaw fell flat on the counter, "You two..? When?"

"Well, almost. She stopped me." I rolled my eyes in admission.

"Doesn't count," she scoffed, smiling, "there's gotta be penetration. So, other than your failed Mars Landing, how was it?"

"She didn't tell you?"

"Yeah, but no details. We've been kinda bumping heads lately."

"What'd you do?" I questioned as I grabbed my phone again, not even looking at Olivia.