•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 20•

Start from the beginning

"You're a little early, you think?"

"No, I want to get this over with." -I said plainly and handed him the black folder- "Here's the rest of the proof. It includes finances spent, travels back and forth, and even deals made with other families."

Adrian partially closed his laptop lid and flipped through the pages of the folder. Most times Adrian's expressions were as readable as a kid's book, but as I watched him look over the report I prepared, he seemed blunted. It reminded me of when he'd turn in his midterms to our private tutor -thinking he passed with flying colors- just to fail by one point.

A cocktail of disappointment and rage.

It took him less than a few minutes to form an opinion about what he read before he lightly tossed the folder back to his desk and leaned back -his eyes narrowing.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Why not? Even Grandpa knew to put family first, that's what I'm doing -thought you'd be a little pleased about it."

"It's just outta character for you, Andres."

"I'm changing."

"That's too bad you waited until now to do that," Adrian stood from his desk, grabbing my grandfather's prized bat and the folder.

I took a deep breath as he walked past me, opening the door.

"After you."

• • • •

It took us no time at all the reach the cellar. We pushed open the metal door, the heavy scent of blood stinging my nose. The beating I received here only a week ago flashed back into my mind, and for a moment, I almost felt bad for telling Adrian everything, but I had to look out for family first - and Julia was family.

Standing against the walls were two men, one I recognized as Lorenzo and in the middle of the now well-lit room was a disheveled, gagged and bound Gianni. If I didn't know any better, I would say the men had been trying to kill him.

Gianni's swollen left eye matched his throbbing split bottom lip and a few of his teeth hung from his mouth by a thread of skin while blood drained from the remaining half of his ear. He managed to keep breathing, even though it was shallow and from his posture in the metal chair, I could tell they'd stomped into him. I don't know where my brother found these men, but what they lacked in free-thinking they made up for in brutality.

Welcome to the Adrian Regime.

"Bel lavoro, uomini (beautiful job, men). Excuse us while we talk family business." Adrian tucked the bat under his arm and rolled up his sleeves as the devilish flames fanned behind his dead steel pupils.

They nodded and exited quietly, Lorenzo eyeing me carefully. My gaze followed him, eventually landing back on the half dead man in the middle of the room.

Gianni groaned weakly at my brother's voice as his bruised eyes made their way to me. A whimpering growl slipped from his mouth along with new blood that soaked through the cloth gag causing him to choke a bit. As Gianni tried to vaporize me with his stare, I couldn't help but smile. I warned him about staying in his lane, but he didn't listen.

The price for not taking a Maniscalco man at his word is high.

The top of the Adrian's bat hitting the icey concrete floor sharply echoed through the room, as Gianni rambled through the cloth.

I stood against the wall, arms crossed as Adrian read over the report I gave him last night.

Making all of my withdraws and deposits disappear and resurface as Gianni's doing was easy. Convincing Adrian that his trusted ally, Gianni, was out living his best life on our dime when he was supposed to be tracking Mancini's activity- that was was the hard part.

He almost called my bluff, but I appealed to his vengeance -the power hungry side of him- reminding him that while I was doing my job with the finances, Gianni was undermining him and laughing in his face.

Adrian cleared his throat and swung the bat over his shoulder.

"March 15 - $890,000." He began the list of stolen funds.

"Julia's therapy sessions." I thought to myself.

The side of the bat cracked against Gianni's left knee cap as a vicious cry erupted from his muted mouth.

"August 1 - $26,000." 

Nicolai's tuition.

Adrian dealt another blow to the center of his face, a harsh popping sound followed by a gush of blood pouring from our cousin's nose.

"May 20 - $530,800."

Julia's surprise trip to Talum.

"October 21- $243,000."

Julia's car payments.

"December 23 - $632,000."

Nicolai's doctor visits.

"February 14 - $766,070."

Gifts for Julia.

Blood splashed in all directions as Adrian read off the list, finally reaching the end. I circled the room, trying to keep as close to the wall as possible. This suit was expensive, I didn't plan on ruining it for this. I stood behind Gianni watching his weak torso lurch forward.

Tears stained his cheeks as his swollen face slipped out pleading whines and curses, probably at me.

Adrian adjusted his shoulders and grabbed a towel from the nearby hook, wiping the already dented bat of skin and blood. 

"You're letting him live?" I froze expecting a final blow.

I didn't necessarily want Gianni dead, but he was a risk to me alive.

"For now." Adrian curtly replied as he replaced the towel.

Gianni let out a barely audible chuckle. I was surprised considering how cracked his ribs must have been.

A twinge of frantic disappointment raced through my arteries, nearly giving me a heart attack. I took a breath trying regain control. Change of plans, but definitely still a win for me.

Adrian nonchalantly stepped to the metal doors calling the two men back in.

"Get Tessa in here and no food for the night." He pointed at Gianni.

They did as they were told, Adrian following not to far behind -his blood painted hands and fingernails pushing the door open as he exited.

Carefully I stepped over the plastic laid out under Gianni's chair and clasped my hands behind my back. I leaned over his shoulder to the ear that was still in tact and chuckled.

His body flinched and he bitterly groaned.

"What's the difference between you and a rat?"

His puffy cheek turned slightly to my voice.

"I know how to fight back when pushed into a corner."

A/N: Doesn't Andres look yummy in that suit?🥰

Thanks so much for the reads and comments! Love you guys!!!

✌🏾✌🏾