[ CHAPTER 8 ]

'I'm hungry. I'm sad. I feel hopeless. But then, one day, I heard a sound like a snap. And I never knew pain again'

Her behavior was those like a dog, she was leashed with a rope around her waist as she followed the man obediently. 

'While living in poverty, even when my parents sold me, it didn't make me feel sad'

"Excuse me, do you have a minute?" A female voice called out "Hello, there. Nice to meet you. My name is Kocho Kanae. What's your name?" Kanae asked softly 

"She's got no name, Allright? Her parents never gave her one. If you wanna talk to this kid, pay up!" The man said 

"Allright, then, we'll purchase her. Would this be enough?" Another female name Shinobu said as she took the money from the pocket of her haori and tossed it at him. The man eyes widened at the amount of money, taking this chance, Shinobu took the rope from the man and begin to run with Kanae and the child.

"Ah, are you sure about this?" Kanae asked 

"It's fine!" Shinobu said

"Please excuse us!" Kanae shout as she sent an apologetic gaze

The girl stared in awe at Kanae, unlike her dull eyes from before her eyes now filled with admiration. 

Back in the butterfly estate Shinobu had bathe the girl and dressed her up 

"Nee-san! Nee-san!" Shinobu called

"Nee-san, this child is hopeless!" Shinobu shouted

"Now, now, don't be like that, okay? I just love that smile of yours, Shinobu" Kanae said as she smiled at her sister

Shinobu huffed annoyed at Kanae "But we can't do anything with a kid who can't even think for herself! It's dangerous!" Shinobu said

Kanae went closer to the girl and kneeled showing her a coin "Allright, when you're on your own, you can decide by flipping this coin. Right, Kanao?" Kanae said as she hand the coin over to Kanao's open palm.

"As long as it's given a chance, a person's soul will open up, so don't worry" Kanae said "When you fall in love with some boy someday, you'll change too, Kanao" She added

Kanao stared at the coin that reside on her hand, she turned around and her gaze move directly to Tanjiro. When Tanjiro went inside, she too went inside as Aoi called her.

"Nee-san, where are you going with Kanao?" Shinobu asked

"Just visiting a friend, I want to introduce her to Kanao" Kanae said as she smiled

"Okay then, be careful nee-san!" Shinobu waved

On the journey, Kanao stayed silent however there was a spark of curiosity as to where Kanae is taking her.

"We're here!" Kanae announced to Kanao, not long after the door opened "Kanae, please come in" A black haired demoness said as she bowed her head a bit to show respect. 

Kanae and Kanao followed the black haired demoness as she lead them to one of the room "Kanae! Please sit down!" A white haired demoness said as she smiled at Kanae. 

Kanae sat down and gesture Kanao to do the same, Kanao nodded and sat down, not questioning Kanae about the white and black haired demoness.

"Who is this Kanae?" The white haired demoness asked

"This is my adopted sister, the one I've been talking about, Tsuyuri Kanao" Kanae replied, the demoness smiled and introduced herself "hi there, my name is Mitsuko" 

Kanao glance to Kanae but Kanae said nothing but smile, Kanao then flipped the coin and saw that it landed on head "greetings Mitsuko-san, nice to meet you too" Kanao said as she smiled half heartedly 

Mitsuko smiled and pat Kanao head "Don't worry Kanae, I'm sure great things will happen to Kanao" 

Kanae nodded and smiled back at Mitsuko "You can't tell Shinobu or anyone else about Mitsuko-sama okay Kanao?" Kanae said 

Kanao nodded, a bit confused as to why she couldn't tell Shinobu.

"Here how about you try this drink, it's quite delicious" Mitsuko said as she offered ramune to Kanao, Kanao took a sipped and her eyes sparkled at the taste. 

Mitsuko chuckled "You can have this if you want"

Kanao stared at Mitsuko and then look towards Kanae, Kanae nodded and smiled at Kanao. Kanao was hesitant to take it so she flipped her coin and it landed on head, seeing this she took the drink and thanked Mitsuko.

'I suppose that's why I like ramune' Kanao thought as she stared at the ramune in front of her.