01. the transfer student

"Class, today we have a new student

"Class, today we have a new student. She just moved from Seoul to Gyeongsangnam-do yesterday so I want you guys to treat her very nicely. Now, Ms. Cha, you may come into the room and introduce yourself to us and tell us a fun fact about yourself so we can get closer," Mrs. Nam, the homeroom teacher of class 2-1 smiled.

Cha Eun byul took heavy steps entering the cramped schoolroom as she stared at the many new faces.

"The school looks run down and isn't as nice as my old school in Seoul," she thought to herself, "But this will have to do."

"Hi, my name is Cha Eun byul and I'm just an average student who moved here because of my dad's work."

**

"Yeseo, Yeseo," the small smiling girl said to her friend, "Let's play piano and violin together forever!"

"I want to be your accompanist for the rest of my life," Yeseo smiled brightly.

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise!"

**

Time skip, 1 year later...

"Eun byul," her friend Jongseong exclaimed, poking at her head, "Byulie, wake up!"

Eun byul's eyes fluttered open as she sat up from her slouched position.

"That dream again," she thought, "Why did I get that dream again?"

"Eun byul, where are you today?" Jongseong joked, "Class is about to start."

"Sorry," she smiled sheepishly, brushing her hair back, "I haven't been able to sleep well these days. It's so weird because I can't fall asleep until 2 or 3 in the morning most days."

"Maybe you should go see a doctor or maybe take some melatonin vitamins. But don't eat a whole jar like those stupid people on the internet," he exclaimed.

"Haha don't worry. I'll just drink a nice cup of chamomile tea later. Anyways, Mrs. Kim is coming."

As their petite teacher walked into the room holding a clipboard, she stopped and stood at the podium.

"Everyone, stand up," the class president, Kim Siyeon said, "Good morning Mrs. Kim."

"Good morning Mrs. Kim," everyone greeted and bowed in unison.

"Good morning class," she smiled warmly, "Today I have a few announcements to make before we start today's science lesson. First of all, the annual summer music festival is starting June 14 through the 15, so I think it would be a great opportunity for everyone to come out and enjoy some music. Also, there's going to be a competition as well so if you're interested, come to the office for sign-ups. And one more thing, we have a transfer student."

"A transfer student?" a student whispered, "Who moves here literally during the middle of the school year?"

"I hope it's a girl," another guy whispered to his friend.

"Do you think this person is extremely smart? We already have enough of those."

"Alright, enough with the whispers," Mrs. Kim smirked, having an idea of what the students thought, "Mr. Lee, you can come in now."

The new student walked in. He was fairly tall and had somewhat tanned skin, silky black hair, and big doe eyes. He wore a broad smile on his face and had the pearliest white teeth.

"Wow, he's gorgeous," a girl muttered under her breath.

"He's from the city, I just know it."

"City boys surely look different than the ones here."

"Who knew the transfer student would be so good-looking."

"Hi, my name is Lee Heeseung. I just moved here from Gyeonggi-do so I don't know the area well yet. I moved here because of my dad's work. I really love playing the piano and I've competed internationally as well. I hope I can make a lot of new friends here," he exclaimed.

"A piano player?" Eun byul questioned herself, "How did someone like him end up moving to the countryside? Especially if he's an international competitor. It couldn't just be his dad's work."

"Alright then," Mrs. Kim said clapping her hands together, "Heeseung, you can sit behind... hm... oh right, Eun byul, all the way to the right of the classroom, the very last seat in the second row."

He nodded and began walking back, giving a small wave and smile to her. She nodded her head and tried not to let the gesture get to her.

Lunchtime...

"Hey Eun byul," Dami called from the door, "Can you help me carry the other box of papers to the office?"

"Yeah, I'll grab the box, you can go ahead of me first. I'll catch up," Eun byul exclaimed.

Normally Jongseong would assist Eun byul and probably carry the box for her, but he was at an emergency swim meet and could not help her. And so the tiny girl lifted the hefty box and made her way to the office.

"Damn, what's in here?" she puffed, tired from the grueling work.

Just as she stopped paying attention to where she was going, she felt herself collide into another person with paper flying everywhere.

"Oh my gosh- I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention and I didn't see you," she panicked scrambling to pick up the paper.

"That's funny hearing that from a person who's so tiny," the voice of the male teen laughed.

"Excuse me?" she looked up glaring at him, "Oh, you're the transfer student."

"Ah- sorry. I didn't mean to offend you like that. Here I'll help you carry these," Heeseung responded, "You're Eun byul, right?"

"Yeah, and thank you," she muttered standing up.

After the two awkwardly walked to the school's office and dropped off the box of papers, they slowly walked away, departing from each other.

"Hey Eun byul," Heeseung called, "Because I helped you, can I get a wish?"

"A wish? That's one way to make a first impression," Eun byul jokingly scoffed, "Sure."

"Let's enter the music festival's competition. I want you to play the violin and I want to be your accompanist."

Her eyes opened widely as she clenched her fists.

"Who exactly are you, Lee Heeseung?"