"I would never,"

"You spend too much time with your father," Stasiaj called back, already sauntering down the stairs and out onto the street. She stalked along cobbled roads, past old haunts that she used to hang out at, as well as buildings that she had robbed before. Finally, the rich area of Ketterdam ended, and Stasiaj entered into her familiar home turf.

Despite now living in near luxury as both a princess and one of the wealthiest women in Ketterdam, Stasiaj still preferred living in the Barrel. This was her home, where she had grown up and learnt her trade, where she had met her Vipers and where, most importantly, she had met Kaz.

Men tipped their hats to her as she passed them on the street, as Stasiaj was deep in the Dregs territory. Taking a sharp right, she brushed past the bouncers on the doors of the Crow Club and into the room.

It wasn't quiet, but there was a tenseness in the air, like one small spark would set this whole place ablaze.

"Is Crow Man in?"

"Upstairs," The bartender stuttered, and Stasiaj nodded, taking the stairs two at a time. Despite having been married for near to three years, Stasiaj still called him by his nickname in the club. Neither of them needed others looking in on their relationship and trying to monopolize on it.

Knocking on the door to his study, Stasiaj waited before cracking it open and peering in. Kaz was at his desk, face dark with thought.

"Afternoon," Kaz barely looked up, dark hair falling across his eyes. As much as Stasiaj wanted to reach out and push it away, but knew that doing that might not end too well. "Malkus told me the news."

"That Pekka Rollins is back?" Kaz spat, hatred twisting around his words like a noose. 

"Yeah. Good day or bad?"

Kaz didn't reply, but Stasiaj heard the answer clear as day. She nodded to herself, before leaving him to his brooding. Bad days were more and more rare now, but when it did happen, Kaz's PTSD and anxiety were set off far more easily so Stasiaj had to make sure not to touch him at all, lest he initiated it.

Turning to his office, Stasiaj quickly cleared the mess at the back of the room, opening the windows to let the afternoon breeze in. The wind smelt of smoke and rain, which was typical of Ketterdam, and she knew that Kaz found that comforting. Looking out, Stasiaj watched storm clouds roll in from the horizon, covering the sun.

"Okay. I'm going to go home and give you some space," Stasiaj told him carefully, knowing that's what he needed, more than her here and hovering. "I'll leave food out for you and I'll set up the spare bedroom if today gets worse."

He huffed and Stasiaj stood back up. She tapped the desk next to him.

"Remember to eat and drink," He looked up at her momentarily, causing Stasiaj to tap the wedding ring around her neck in a silent 'I love you' before disappearing back up to her home so that she could hear what Ivarn and Malkus had to report on their separate assignments.

Stasiaj was already curled into the bed she shared with Kaz, her eyes fluttering closed when she finally heard the door close beneath her. The familiar click of a cane was accompanied by footsteps, and Stasiaj placed her fang away as she waited to her what he was going to do.