Chapter 23

***a note from the author:

Hey guys, :D

Please please please please please make sure to read the author's note this time!! It's REEEAAALLYYY important!! Ps. This ISN'T the last chapter.

(23)

Have you ever experienced this feeling when someone tells you something really awful, and it feels like you had just been shot in the stomach?

Well, that was exactly how Dan felt when he found out Lily had been in a car accident.

It had been Lana who informed Dan about it, and the moment Dan managed to understand what Lana was trying to tell him through all her tears, blubbering and sniffling, Dan felt like he might just pass out right there and then.

And so, Dan rushed to the hospital at lightning speed. (Now, before you get mad at me for making Phil sound like a complete asshole for not going to the hospital with Dan to see Lily, Phil happened to be on vacation with his family... in Thailand. And Chris left after showing Dan the video, so he didn't know about the accident either.)

By the time Dan got to the hospital, Lily was in the emergency room. She hadn't suffered any overly-serious or life-threatening injuries, just several bruises and some small cuts around her waist, and a rather loud wound at her hip area. That wound wasn't very deep, but it was large and needed stitching up. She also had a gaping cut on her temple, which was caused when Lily fell to the ground and smacked it with her head. Dan was still immensely worried, though. He paced the hospital corridors anxiously, worrying more and more every passing second. Was stitching up a bunch of wounds supposed to take this long? Dan clenched and un clenched his fists, chewing his lower lip uneasily. "Mr. Howell?" a solemn voice called out, and Dan looked up to see a gray-haired doctor in a white lab coat standing before him. A stony, expressionless look was plastered on his heavily lined face. "Is Lily okay?" Dan stepped towards him, resisting the urge to grab the doctor by his collar and shake him. "Yes, Mr. Howell , she iz fine," the doctor sighed, as if explaining something complicated to a small child. "Then, can I go see her? I really-" Dan started to say, his voice edging with anxiety and desperation, but the doctor cut him off (rather rudely, I might add.) "I am afraid not, Mr. Howell. Lily needz her rest, and you vill be nothing but a disturbance," the doctor drawled airily in his thick German accent, a distasteful sneer curled upon his lips.

Dan and Lana left the hospital with heavy hearts. And Dan couldn't sleep that night, he tossed and turned uncomfortably in his sheets. His mind was overflowing with a million thoughts, and his heart was hammering wildly in his chest.

"What if that German doctor LIED to me just to shut me up? What if Lily's injuries were actually so much worse than the doctors said they were? What if Lily fractured her brain in her fall? What if she won't ever be able to move again? What if... What if she's going to die?" The endless flow of questions came rapidly. Dan chewed his lip, annoyed at the way he worried himself by over thinking. Finally, he fell into an uneasy slumber.

***

The following morning, Lily was the first thing that popped into Dan's head the moment he woke up. He hurried to the hospital and after waiting for what seemed like eternity, he was let into Lily's room.

The room's walls were painted a pale blue color. It also had a large glass window, which had a nice view of the parking lot down below and neighboring rooftops. (Note the sarcasm.) Sunlight streamed through it, casting shadows. A bedside table stood beside the hospital bed, on it was a lamp with a cream-colored lampshade as well as a vase of fake petunias.

Dan stepped towards the bed. Lily lay in it silently. There were white bandages wrapped around her head and her amber hair. She looked paler, thinner than the last time Dan had seen her, but she was still strikingly beautiful. Her eyes were closed peacefully and she was clad in crisp, white pajamas. Dan bit his lip, stretching out a hand to touch Lily's soft, pale cheek affectionately.

Dan hated himself for not giving Lily a chance to explain herself the day they broke up. Maybe it was because those feelings of anger, hurt and jealousy were just so overwhelming they took control of him completely. Dan hated himself for being the cause of Lily lying in a hospital bed, he hated how the series of events had led up to this. He hated how all this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been so stupid.

"Oh Lily," Dan choked, holding back tears, "I'm so sorry."

All of a sudden, Lily's hand shot up and grabbed Dan's wrist, her eyes flew open.

"Oh my God!" Dan squealed, jumping back in shock. Lily sat up in her bed, laughing uncontrollably. "You should've seen the look on your face! It was priceless!" Lily laughed, clutching her stomach. "How long have you been awake?" Dan asked. "A while," Lily grinned broadly, before continuing to say, "I heard you come into my room, did I scare you? Hahah,

it was so funny when you-"

Dan didn't even let Lily complete her sentence before wrapping his arms around her in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, Lily," Dan whispered.

The initial shock melted away and Lily's mouth curved into a smile, her eyes swam with tears. She laughed warmly as Dan sniffled loudly.

"Are you crying?" Lily asked fondly, ruffling Dan's hair. "No," Dan blubbered defensively, making Lily laugh again.

They just stayed that way for a while, wrapped up in each other's warmth, enjoying each other's presence.

All was well. :)

***A note from the author :(YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!!)

'Sup dudes :D,

Thanks for reading Unexpected!! And I know what you're thinking. "This must be the lamest ending to a chapter of all time." I know this chapter hasn't been all that great, and I'm sorry, I really am. But that's only because I want to save the best for the NEXT chapter (which MAY take a slightly longer time to upload since it'll be super long), which will also be the LAST chapter. So forgive me, okay guys? :))) <3

I feel sad as I write this, because I don't just think of you guys as readers, I think of you guys as friends. And all this time, this story has been acting as a staple of our friendship. And soon, it'll all be over.

Once again, thank you for supporting me. Please do comment, vote and fan if you enjoyed my story. You can follow me on twitter at MarleyNarwhal, I swear up and down I'll follow back! And I promise chapter 24 will be the best chapter EVAH!! :D

Love Always,

Marley.