Chapter Eighteen: Still Waters

Comenzar desde el principio

"I have always thought that Mrs Follet displays unusual creativity and charm in her choice of fashion," he said. "In a sea of white and pink and cream, Grace will stand out like a sapphire set amongst diamonds. You will give my compliments to Mrs Follet, sir, for the way she dressed Grace tonight."

Mr Follet subsided into a fit of twitchy silent irritation for some minutes. At last he said peevishly, "I've a spot of indigestion tonight, Redwood. It gives me a temper."

"Is this a temper?" James asked. "I thought it was just general fussiness. My mistake."

Grace looked from one to the other, her lips pressed tight. James, accustomed now to her subtle expressions, saw that she was displeased with them both. But perhaps she was embarrassed by her father's criticisms.

They sat in silence for several minutes. At last, the doorbell rang and the footman came to say the Daltons' carriage was waiting for them. As James led Grace out to the carriage, he expected her to offer some apology for her father's bad mood, but she said nothing. Further conversation was prevented by the presence of Mr and Mrs Dalton and their two daughters, Eliza and Bridget. When they arrived at the assembly rooms, they were well in time for James to take the first dance with Grace. His mind was still upon the earlier conversation. Grace was in every way a dutiful, obedient daughter, despite Mr Follet's ungentle treatment of her, but she was not insensible of his cavilling, James thought; she had been embarrassed, or uncomfortable, by what her father had said earlier. If he could drive a wedge between her and her father, give her a reason to rebel against him, then perhaps that would be motive enough for her to break the engagement — tonight.

To that end, he continued their discussion in a low voice in the quiet moments in the dance, as they were standing back and waiting for their turn to move.

"Your father was in a temper tonight," he began.

"Some men are prone to them," Grace said. "Most women forgive them for it."

James ignored the veiled insult. "I could forgive any man for a temper," he said. "I find it harder to forgive what your father said about his wife."

"Mother often makes Father impatient."

"No. Your father often loses patience with your Mother."

The movement of the dance parted them for a few moments and allowed James to carefully compose his next sentences.

"It occurs to me now that tonight was the first time I have ever heard your father say a word about Mrs Follet. And it was an extremely ungracious one."

"He is not usually unkind."

"I think he is very good at knowing when he crossed a line, and very quick to jump back over it. Once or twice, I have been about to lose my temper with him when, with a quick word and a smile, he has twisted things until I don't know what I feel at all."

"He understands people."

"He knows how to manage them." James met Grace's eyes. "He manages you."

The dance separated them again and across the floor James could see Grace's face rumpling with discontent. When they met up again, they had to hold hands as they sashayed down the line of dancers, and she held his like it was a dead rat.

"You admire your father too much," James said. "You allow him to manage you. You allowed him to manage you right out of your engagement to Benson."

Her hand tightened on his until it hurt. "You know not of what you talk."

"I know enough. You should have heard what he said about your engagement with Benson — he called it a silly little love affair, conducted by a silly little girl. He never considered that he had broken your heart. He doesn't know women have hearts to break."