chapter twenty six

Comincia dall'inizio

"You were never meant to hear me.. If I had known you were standing there I would have stopped singing," I confessed

" I know, that's why I didn't let you know I was there.. I didn't want you to stop on my account. It was unusual to hear you do more than squeak," he drawled wryly

I found myself able to laugh at his remark, instead of squirming and taking offence, or feeling he was getting at me, realising he was most probably right; I didn't have much to say for myself back then.

"And since then, I have learned you can growl too when the need arises," he then murmured, "It started making me wonder what exactly I took on when I agreed to marry you, perhaps more than I bargained for," his dark eyes rested on me searchingly, and then I felt his hand come up to stroke my cheek, "But I am not complaining, I like the new feisty you,"

My heart was suddenly beating rapidly. The familiar weak feeling that turned my legs to jelly overtook me and I knew could easily get swept away,

Recalling what had happened before when my feelings went high wire where Ricardo was concerned, I wasn't sure I wanted him liking me that much.

I took a cautionary step back from him, putting a bigger space between us, so his hand was forced to end it's physical contact with my face

"Well I didn't do it just for your benefit, so don't be too flattered," I manage to reply hoping my voice was more light hearted than I was feeling inside

He chuckled, "Of course not," he moved to close the gap between us again, his dark eyes almost predatory, "but I don't think you are as indifferent to me as you would like to be either, eh?" he queried softly

I didn't reply, instead I looked down at the baby clothes I was still clutching in my hands, "I really had better get all these sorted out and packed away, we have so little time left before we move"

Thankfully Ricardo didn't try to stop me when I turned and walked away from him, much to my relief. Probably deciding he had amused himself enough for one night at my expense.

***********************************************************

At last We were able to move into our new home. And because of it's disabled access, most of it was contained on the ground floor, which was what we needed including two of the bedrooms and a bathroom.

Upstairs was another bedroom and bathroom as well as a small box room that could be used as a study or storage.

Ricardo had went ahead of me to organise the remaining details for the moving of our furniture and other belongings we were taking with us. Insisting we should have all that chaos sorted out before we brought the baby to the house, then it would be less upheaval and easier if everything was in its place.

So when His father Thomas drove me and little George to our new home everything would be done more or less when we arrived, which suited me fine.

Carrying George in my arms, I followed Thomas Sanchez through the front door into the spacious long hall way, the first door to my right was the living room, which was looking good

Ricardo came out of one of the rooms further up the hallway, which I discovered was the kitchen where he was sitting having a coffee break with Benny and my two cousins Alex and James who had been helping him

"Ah good you are here," Ricardo sounded brisk and business like when he caught sight of me, "I think I got everything sorted out alright, I imagine you will want to see George's room first?"

He then led me across the hallway to the door opposite. Benny and Lisa had done the nursery room for us, they had painted it a pale blue with a border pasted around the top of soft pastel colourful teddy bears and rainbows.

In the corner was a white cot and across the from that a set of drawers and various cuddly toys, as well as a cane rocking chair where I could sit and nurse him.

"It's lovely," I smiled, "Benny and Lisa did a good job"

"Yes," Ricardo agreed also smiling, "And our bedroom is next door, so you won't have to go far," he then said leading me into the next door on the left which was already opened. I glanced in, suddenly feeling a little confused when I seen the double bed in the centre of it

"W-where is your bed? I mean the hospital one?"

"It's upstairs, I told Benny to leave it in the storage room," Ricardo replied easily, "I don't really need anymore now, I can manage to get into an ordinary bed just fine"

"I see," I replied guardedly, "So this is your bed now?"

His dark eyes rested on me intently, "This is our bed now, where we both will be sleeping as married couples do," he said with deliberation, smiling a little as if he was enjoying himself watching the expression on my face, which I imagined was something bordering shock, as it started to sink in what he meant.

"S-so our former arrangement, has changed?" I then asked, suddenly not sure what way to feel about this new turn of events, was he being serious, or teasing me?

"Well it all seems a little hypocritical now don't you think?" he said meaningfully, eyeing our son, who was sleeping in my arms,

"But still I thought - that you - that we-" I stammered uncertainly, not sure how to put it

"Well you thought wrong," Ricardo replied curtly, "I have decided this is how it is going to be from now on"

I started to wonder with some dismay where my decision or agreement came into all this new plan? But it seemed I didn't have any say in it .

I was unable to pursue the matter any further as we were joined by Benny and the others, wanting to know how I liked the place.

I forced myself to push aside this latest unexpected development that had left me a little shaken, and fixed a smile on my face, telling them I thought it was lovely.

"Yes," Ricardo smiled and I felt his arms go around my shoulders and squeeze me to him, "This is a whole new beginning for us, isn't that right sweetheart"

And I just wondered of the others had heard the slight mocking tone in his voice, that I had clearly detected