epilogue

Our daughter Maria was born just over nine months later, and instantly became the apple of her father's eye, and good company for little George. So I had my hands full once again with two small children to care for. But despite this I enjoyed motherhood. and Ricardo continued concentrating on his trapeze act, now back to his full form.

It was four years since my Grandfather's death, and we had decided to go and visit his graveside where he was buried with my grandmother, and leave some flowers.

Ricardo held five month old Maria in his arms, as George helped me put the flowers in the vase.

It was a rather solemn moment, and I found myself thinking about my Grandfather, and how he had brought about my marriage to Ricardo, recalling at the time how I had felt despair at the thought of having to spend the rest of my life with him of all people.

Funnily enough, I couldn't imagine my life without him now

Somehow despite our shaky beginning, it had worked out, and I don't think either of us really figured out how it had happened.

 But It made me wonder if my Grandfather had known something that we didn't, at the time.

I had been so scared and uncertain about my future after my Grandfather died, and I was left in Ricardo's care

But as we left the graveyard with our children later that afternoon, and I felt the firm grasp of his hand mine, I knew whatever had happened between us in the past, my future with him, was never more secure

The End