Starfall (Gwynriel)

Start from the beginning

She shuffled to the door, opening it as she saw Azriel leaning with his back against the wall. The palms of his hands rested just above his knee, fingers drumming his thighs. The hands that plagued her thoughts of him.

——————————————

Azriel was leaning against a wall as Gwyn opened the door. She had the the most beautiful dress on. It was a dark blue colour, with a mid-neck- not showing much or any cleavage, and a slit along one thigh that parted to show her leg. The dress hugged her body- as it wasn't poofy but a slim fit. Azriel swallowed as his eyes lingered on her marvellous face features- the small nose, the dotted freckles- there were 27 of them, he counted. The way her jaw was straight as a line. The way she fidgeted when someone stared at her to long. Azriel blinked looking away.

"Ready to go?"

"Yes dummy," Gwyn added with a laugh.

Azriel cracked a noticeable smile as Gwyn shut the door and they hurried down the hall.

———————————

Azriel walked beside Gwyn who is shooting nervous smiles at him. He noticed her breathing becomes a tiny bit uneven. She's fidgeting with her hands as they walk around crowds of people.

"Gwyn?"

"Mhm?"

"We can go back if you'd like?"

"No."

"You sure?"

"I said I'm fine Azriel." The words came out harsher then meant to. He turned his gaze from her back to the horizon of people in front of them. Gwyn immediately cringed. "Gosh I'm sorry- I just don't do well in crowds and i know you know that already and you are just trying to help me but s-"

"It's alright," Az replied softly.

——————————————

"Can I-" Gwyn shivered. Deep breaths she told herself. In and out. In and out. In and out. "Would it be okay if I wanted to hold your hand? For- for comfort."

Azriel looked at her, stunned. Gwyn swallowed. She thought he might deny her request until he slowly offered her his hand. Her heartbeat quickened as he offered her an encouraging smile. Her eyes jumped to the scars on his hands which weirdly enough calmed her nerves slightly. Those hands that taught her to wield a sword. To fight, to strengthen. Those hands had saved her when she was with those men. Those were the hands that saved her. The hands that would never hurt her.

She placed her hand on top of his and linked her fingers through the spaces between his fingers. The calluses on his hands resting on her skin. They walked around the crowds of people, Az stopping to talk to a few that he knew- including the owner of Rita's. He introduced her to them, and she met Nuala and Cerridwen- who apparently were his (and Rhys') spies.

Gwyn saw Nesta walking in with Cassian and she let go of Az's hand to run over and talk to Nesta. Cassian gave Nesta a quick kiss. Nesta smiled when he pulled away and he ran over to Azriel to do whatever brothers do.

"Hey!" Nesta said.

Gwyn shot her a smile in return.

"How do you like it at starfall?"

"I think it's beautiful." Gwyn said dreamily- though her hands kept fidgeting.

"Yeah." Nesta paused. "So Azriel?"

Nesta smirked as Gwyn's cheeks flushed.

"Um- no it's, we're just friends."

"Mhm." Nesta said raising her eyebrows while sipping some of her drink.