1 -Kashuu

Kashuu's POV

I sat in my office looking over a chart for a new patient. A female, eight years old. 'no medications, no known allergies' I thought to myself reading through the notes in her history I was given. A knock at my door caught my attention. "come in." I answered, looking up from the chart.

The door opened and there stood my nurse, Yasusada. "Shes ready for you." he said referring to the new patient, whos chart remained in my hand. "She seems pretty anxious, the mother does as well. Seems both have had bad experiences." he continued.

"I see." I told him then stood, walking to him as he handed me a paper with her vitals. They all pointed to a patient having a lot of anxiety. I gave Yasusada a nod then proceeded to the patients room. I gave a light knock and waited for the ok to enter.

I walked in with Yasusada behind me. The small girl with brown hair in a ponytail and hazel eyes, sat on the exam table, dressed clad in the gown Yasusada had provided. Her mother who also had brown hair sat in a chair, bouncing her leg.

"Hi there. Im Dr. Kashuu Kiyomitsu. Nice to meet you." I introduced to the two girls. The small child waved shly and the mother offered a kind smile.

I turned my attention to the girl who seemed to tense up as soon as I did. "A bit nervous?" I asked her, not moving closer to her yet. She answered with a nod. "Can you tell me what makes you nervous?" she just shrugged.

I turned to the mother and asked what may have made her carry the fear of being in a doctors office. The mother had explained the childs horroble experiences from unnecessary testing, to wrong diagnosises, and doctors just not being the nicest. The whole time the mother spoke, the child looked away, choosing to look at her own feet rather than make eye contact with me or Yasusada.

Now having an understanding of the girls experiences, I walk closer to her and stand at her side, trying to think of how id do a new patient exam with a child who didnt trust me. The girl jumped a little and looked up at me. She looked as if she thought I was going to hurt her.

"Its alright." I said softly offering a kind smile. "Maybe lets start off with something easy. Can you hold your hands out?"

She looked at me for a moment then did as I asked. While I was actually looking at her nails, she thought it was just an easy task.

"Good job." I said then turned to Yasusada. " Yasusada, will you grab a sheet for me?" the girl seemed to tense up at the word and watched Yasusadas every move. He laid the sheet across her lap then backed away.

I picked up my otoscope and showed her the bright light, then let her look through it, showing her what it does. "do you mind if i use it to look in your ears?" she nodded then looked straight. While I was at it, she allowed me to check her eyes nose and throat. "See? Easy stuff right?"

She smiled a little and nodded. Seeing her calm down a little I took my stethoscope and held the bell of it in my hand, trying to warm it up. I then listened to her heart and lungs and let her do it too. The rest of the exam was still a challenge, but she was pretty brave for the past shes had.

Yasusada and I decided vaccinations werent needed just yet. Next year, shed be due. Yasusada gave her a toy and a nice sticker which she wore proudly. I gave the mother the paper work and waved them good bye. Hopefully she isnt as anxious next time.