vii. always a liability

Start from the beginning

They both jumped up when they saw Sarah walking toward them. The poor woman looked so defeated, with red, puffy eyes to prove just how distraught she was.

"He's still unconscious. I put two chairs in the hall outside of his room so that you two can be a little closer to him. Steve would like to have you both by his side, but you can't be in the room right now."

Usually, patients with Steve's situation would be put in a shared hospital room. But since all of the nurses knew Sarah's son, they put him in his own room, providing the best care possible. Besides, the blonde had landed himself in the hospital so many times that he deserved his own bed there.

Lucy and Bucky quickly nodded at Sarah's words, thankful for the love that she had for her son. Before she could lead them to his room, the older woman pulled the teenagers into her arms for a hug and kissed both of their heads.

Lucy squeezed her tightly and closed her eyes when she realized this is what it would be like to have a mom. A loving parent who gave out hugs and kisses.

They quickly made their way to Steve's room. Once they were outside, both peeked through the little window in the door. Steve was laying peacefully, an oxygen tank providing him with air while he slept.

Sarah saw the worry on their faces and went on to explain, "He just needs a little help breathing. There's not much that we can do but we did give him an injection of adrenaline to strengthen him."

Bucky took a sharp breath in. "Is that bad? Is he gonna be okay?"

Lucy took Bucky's hand in her own, silently waiting for Sarah's answer. He squeezed her left hand tightly, almost too tightly. Not that she minded.

"It's good that we know it's his asthma so that we could rule out other possibilities. They think that as long as his body is strong enough to push through it, he'll be okay."

Another nurse came around the corner, starting a small conversation with Sarah and using medical terminology that neither teenager understood. Sarah looked at them apologetically once she was done with her conversation. "They need me in another wing. Do you two need anything?"

That was one trait Steve got from Sarah. Even when both were struggling, they always made sure that everyone around them was okay. It was a part of their selfless nature.

"Oh, no, go ahead," Lucy waved her on. "Thank you, Sarah." The woman nodded, taking one last longing look at her son before running off.

Despite the chairs being right there, neither Bucky nor Lucy sat. Their nerves were running too high at that point to stay still. Bucky was silent while staring into the room.

"He's gonna be okay," Lucy said while squeezing his hand again.

"How do you know?" Bucky's voice was small, sounding like that of a scared little boy. Lucy had never heard Bucky this vulnerable.

"Because he's Steve. He's strong."

Bucky didn't respond to Lucy. 

She nervously gnawed at her bottom lip. "I mean, Buck, we know Steve. We know that he's strong."

Bucky was overwhelmed, to say the least. He was frustrated. Not at anyone specifically, but at the world.

And sadly, everyone seemed to take out their frustrations on Lucy.

He let go of her hand, starting to pace yet again. "Lucy, just stop. Stop being optimistic when we don't know if he'll be okay. I know Steve better than you. You-you haven't even known us for that long, so just shut up."

Bucky never yelled at Lucy. He wouldn't dare raise his tone with her. At that moment, he wasn't mad at her. No, he needed her by his side. But his subconscious was trying to push her away, both a coping mechanism for the worry he was feeling and to distance himself from falling deeper in love and letting his walls down.