Chapter 2: Don't Be Chicken

Magsimula sa umpisa

And how could she leave out the Magic Kingdom? This was where the magic shined most. Each land was unique, each ride seamless and different in a way that somehow matched the park. She loved becoming a space ranger, canoeing, having talking birds serenade her, flying to Neverland, visiting ghosts, launching into space, and so much more. It was everything to her.

She loved Disney in the sun, no matter how hot, and she loved Disney in the rain, no matter if it was down-pouring down the side of the geosphere or a slight drizzle. She liked standing there in it sometimes, knowing she could walk back to her car and go home if she was soaked. And it was times like those that she was the only one along a path because everyone else had run for cover. It made her feel special, like she would be there for the park no matter what, unlike everyone else. Which wasn't true, but in that moment it kind of was.

One thing she hadn't summoned the courage for was character meet and greets. Her awkwardness had thrown her off to the point that she felt stupid to even meet Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse! Oh, the shame of not even introducing herself to the Mouse himself after all this time. She was a grown adult and, as much as she didn't think it was weird for grown adults to meet characters, it was an undignified loss of pride, almost, to go up and want a hug from either a Cast Member in a large mouse suit or a Cast Member dressed as some famous character, especially when that adult was alone.

She figured she'd get over her fear eventually, but she had a lot more on her plate before she was ready to face the gallows on that one.

She had been halfway through a cinnamon roll inside Gaston's Tavern, staring at it with miserable longing considering how full she was while still having a bit to go, when fate decided for her.

"Hello there."

Nora looked up from her sugar to find none other than Gaston himself leaning on her table.

The misery sank like a lump into her gut. Not this again. "Hi."

He raised a very black eyebrow. "Can you tell me why no one is in my line?"

Gaston pointed outside to where his line normally was.

"Well, I'd say since it's a Wednesday in which it is raining cats and dogs, it's surprising you're out here at all to even have a line right now."

That was bold. She'd been bold. Oh dear.

Gaston harrumphed. "I don't see how the weather has anything to do with it. Look at me. I'm like the sun."

He struck a pose. Nora's lips pressed together. "You didn't keep the rain away though."

"I'm still like the sun," he said, clearly hinting at the sun's most known feature.

"I didn't realize the sun was so muscular."

"It definitely is. That's good, huh? Best in the kingdom." Gaston nodded to the cinnamon roll. "Sweet, like me."

Nora couldn't help her lips tugging up at that one. He was acting. This wasn't an actual guy. Well, he was, he just wasn't actually Gaston.

He wagged a finger at her. "You know, I've seen you around. You never come to my line. Are you scared I'll propose?"

To her? Hah! "Nah. You're too focused on Belle."

"What's your name?"

Was she going to regret this? "Nora."

"That's a pretty name. Not as pretty as mine though." And then he went into a very long explanation of how the tavern belonged to him, pointing out his antler decorations and throne draped with pelts from all his kills.