24. Painting the Morning Sun

Start from the beginning

  Instead of my personal relationships I take note of an older couple just now sitting down at a nearby park bench. I notice how they seem to be madly in love as their hands dance as their eyes meet.

  You can feel the attention and admiration they have for one another. It warms my heart and makes a great addition. to my painting.

  By the time I am happy with my piece I can't help but smile. The perfect morning is set in my work and cannot be tampered or damaged by time. The world is stuck in motion by my brush's strokes and I believe that is beautiful.

  With a satisfactory smile I decide to collect and out away my supplies, wrapping everything up in their respected places.

  From there we walk with the rest of the ton awake, with the day in motion. With the future, as scary as it may be, laying ahead.

  I follow Matilda through the park and through downtown almost mindlessly. My mind focused more on my admiration for the world than my physical surroundings.

  After completing her two chores we turn back to walk back home.

  It wasn't until now that I was fully warped back into my brutal reality.

  "How could you?" My dear friend Eloise's voice stabs my ears. I turn to notice her only steps away, her cheeks red and her eyes cold with disappointment.

  "Eloise..." I begin trying to find my words. I wasn't supposed to see her, not now, not like this. Not without Anthony by my side, ready to help his sister understand. At my stroke of words Matilda backs off, allowing me to entertain the conversation.

  "No, don't call me that, to you I am only Miss Bridgerton. I believe we have lost our friendly titles for one another,"

  "Eloise please, let me explain!"

  "No, I think I am aware of everything I need to know. Penn told me of it all. How you and Anthony shared not only one but a few dances at last nights ball. How you continued the one thing that you knew would hurt me. How you still went after my brother when I specifically begged you to not," Eloise continues her words fast and rambled, her voice hurt and weak.

  "Eloise please, you don't get it Anthony and I-"

  "But the worst part of it all is the fact that I didn't even learn of this from Anthony or anyone else in my family. I had to learn from a friend. A real friend who will tell me when I am being betrayed. I real friend who will tell me as things happen,"

  "We were going to tell you Eloise, we just needed to figure out how," I stutter.

  "Well how long were you planning on waiting? It couldn't have been long, I am sure Lady Whistledown will be sure to publish a statement about your dance in her paper. Were you planning on letting me simply figure it out that way?"

  "No, Eloise, I don't know. But I can't loose you and I did not mean to hurt you,"

  "Oh really? Well it seems so, until Penn told me of the news I was quite happy with being allowed to stay home from last nights ball. But now I see that it was just a heist,"

  "Eloise please! Don't hate me for this. I can't control who I love! Just how you can't control who you don't love. As much as you are headstrong and independent and as much as I wish to be so I am in love with your brother. I know he might not love me back as much as I love him but I could not care. He has feelings for me, I can't say how strong but I know they are there. I love him and I know he loves me. Why can't you just be happy for me?" I reply in quiet yells close to cries.

  With that a few minutes of silence pass. There are no tears  just hurt expressions and emotions slowly healing.

  "I don't hate you," Eloise finally replies, "I want to, desperately, but I don't,"

  "I am so glad," I reply relief rushing through my veins.

  "But that doesn't mean I forgive you, not now anyhow. There is nothing I can do over the matter of you and my brother. I was just trying to  protect you. But you will do what you will,"

  "I hope someday you can forgive me Eloise. And I hope that you can still see me as a friend. I certainly still see you as my friend,"

  "Well that's good to know," Eloise replies, "I don't know what else to say, so for now I must leave. Maybe we can have another conversation soon,"

  "I would like that," I reply, "I hope that conversation comes soon," I smile before turning back towards Matilda.

  "Are you alright Miss?" Matilda asks as we continue to walk home.

  "Yes, I am as well as I can be," I reply keeping up my diamond smile, "Now let's get home,"

  With that I am left lost in my mind once more. I don't think Eloise hates me, not anymore. I know she is hurt but I do not believe that I need to be afraid of her any longer. I still see her as my friend, I don't think she could harm me even if she wanted, she is too kind deep down.

  As for now my mind needs to worry of her brother. Somehow I need to figure out a way to help Anthony break the new of his proposition to my father. For now I need to worry of that issue and that issue only.

_______________________________
  Hi, sorry that this chapter is just a little bit shorter than usual. I still hope that you enjoyed it. More chapters should be coming soon, I can't wait to continue and wrap up this story with all of you guys. And I would like to thank you all for over 15k reads, thats insane. As always comment and vote, thank you!