20. One of My Favorite Places

After taking way too long to pick out all 10 individual fabric samples Madame Delacroix helped us decide on what styles to go with. All of the dresses should theoretically be beautiful and I have found myself to be most excited for the emerald one I originally picked out along with the deep red one. Anna was right, I have never seen fabric such as this, it should make a statement it almost feels scandalous and unorthodox.

"Miss Kingston if you would allow me to take your measurements you will be off in minutes flat," Madame Delacroix explains while reaching for her measuring supplies.

"Of course," I simply reply before listening to her measurement instructions.

While getting fitted for my new dresses I could help but hear the creak of the front door along with the bell and the familiar voices of Eloise and Violet Bridgerton.

"One moment please!" Madame cheers before doing some quick last measurements, "Miss Kingston you are good to go," She politely smiles before dismissing herself to go help her next customer.

Anna and I quickly follow her to the front of the shop where Eloise and I collide.

"Veronica, I wasn't expecting to see you here," Eloise starts.

"I could say the same about you Eloise," I hiccup, "Yet I am glad we have had the opportunity to meet. I feel as though we left things on a sour note the last time we spoke,"

"Did we?" Eloise replies, "I don't know where you got this assumption from? Is it something I did?"

"It just seemed to be as though you were ignoring me at the ball yesterday. Every time I tried to greet you or even looked in your direction you seemed to opt to toning me out,"

"That was not my intention Veronica,"

"Then what was? I thought we were friends? I may just be over dramatic or emotional but I will admit after our lengthy conversation at lunch our attention at the ball hurt,"

"We are friends Veronica. Like I said yesterday you are one of the best things to ever happen to me. I am honored to be able to call an intellectual like yourself my friend,"

"Then why did you seem so to yourself last night?"

"Veronica you are being ridiculous, you know how much I hate balls. I will do anything I can to stay out of the attention, you were doing the exact opposite. Maybe we aren't meant to speak in every social situation," Eloise continues, "Maybe we could walk through the Ton together. Mother is just here to drop off a request so there is no better time than now to speak,"

"Let me ask my sister in law," I reply before turning away to ask Anna who had been graciously waiting at a distance. To what I cannot tell is to my pleasure or to my dismay she agrees. Eloise brings one of her servants as a chaperone and I simply bring myself as we run off into the Ton.

"I know I said I could walk around with you but to be truthful I do not have the most time," I explain as we step into one of the local farmers markets that is weekly set up downtown.

"That's alright, we don't need much time to talk," Eloise replies.

"I'm sorry if I came off as hurt or defensive. I'm just confused and overwhelmed by life," I explain.

"I am sorry if I came off as possessive or controlling. I truly didn't mean anything malicious by ignoring you last night it was just habit. I guess I was scared of Anthony noticing you, although it didn't work the best as I noticed his eyes locked on you several times throughout the night,"

"It's ok, friends are allowed to have indifferences sometimes," I start not really knowing how to process her statement. Anthony was staring at me throughout the night? In a longing way possibly? Finally having the ability to speak I propose Eloise with another question, "And forgive me for asking but what would be so wrong if Anthony and I were to be together,"