21. A Promise

And with the euphoria that came from our intense kiss the return to reality had to follow. Slowly we both pull back, we both return to reality and I can't help but let out a tear.

"I'm so sorry," Anthony starts in response to my emotion, "I should have never-"

"No, no Anthony. I am not crying because of our kiss, I am not crying because of what we share. I am crying because of what I can't have, and that is you,"

"What do you mean? I am right here Veronica. I have eyes on no one but you. Did you not pay attention to our previous conversation at all?"

"I know and I am so glad that you are here, but I have the potential to marry a duke or a prince... the stars aren't aligned for us my Lord. As much as it pains me to say,"

"What? Where is this coming from?" Anthony asks, anger boiling in the back of his throat.

  Hesitating to answer his question honestly I allow a few more tears to fall in my debate, "El- No, a friend asked that you and I keep our distance. They said that you would harm me and that a romance with you would only kill our friendship, "

"Who said these words to you Veronica?" Anthony desperately asks as he wiped the tears from my cheeks before brushing my hair back behind my ear.

"Does it truly matter? Maybe they are-"

  "It was that Chambers boy you are always with wasn't it? He has eyes for you and is desperate to steal you away from me," Anthony growls, anger and hate steaming from his words.

  "No my lord... it wasn't  Earl Chambers," I whisper.

  "Then who?" he asks the most curiosity in his voice as he brushes his fingers through my disheveled hair.

  "Someone that you cannot show resentment for even if you tried..."

  After a minute of silence and realization finally Anthony responds, "It was Eloise wasn't it?"

  Unable to form words in reply I nod before letting out a quick sob as even more tears rush from my eyes, "I'm sorry I never cry like this in front of people..." I whisper as Anthony holds me, cradling me like a child, "I can't hurt her, and neither can you,"

  "Veronica, Eloise doesn't have any control over me, over us and our relationship-"

  "But she does, she said if I were to be with you that I would loose her. She knows too much of us Anthony, I can't break our promise," I interrupt trying to explain without revealing the information that Eloise saw our kiss. How I do not doubt she would spread that information if I ever betrayed her.

  "Then make a new promise, make one to me-"

  "Anthony-"

  "No Veronica, make a promise to me, please," Anthony please staring into my eyes.

  "What is the promise?" I ask my voice finally calming down.

  "Promise me that you will marry the man you love. Even if it is not me, allow yourself the time to court dukes and princes. But remember that I am always here. I will be waiting for you my-"

  "Have you ever been in love Anthony?" I interrupt stumping his promise, "Because I have heard various times that you already gave your heart away,"

  With some hesitation Anthony replies, "Yes I have been in love-"

  "What was her name?" I interrupt once more.

  "Siena. I loved her for a long time, she was the most beautiful singer-"