Chapter Twenty-Three (Ryan's P.O.V)

Maria and Henry said that we are going to meet Damion's family today and I'm super nervous. Maria seemed unaffected by this event and was making something she called a 'dish to pass.' I don't know what that means but it smells good. Henry got called into work this morning but promised he would be back by four to go to the BBQ with us.

Maria was wearing a pink cloth thing over her fancy looking white blouse and blue jeans. She said it's called an apron and worn when cooking to keep people's clothes clean. I had no idea what to wear and wanted to call Damion to ask him what I should wear but he's running a patrol with Alex to make sure that there's no rogues in the area, so that they can't ruin the BBQ.

I'm not really sure what a BBQ is either, but Henry said it's a get together of friends and family to hang out and eat food. I don't have any friends, unless Alex and Damion count, and I see my family everyday, but I like food.

I still couldn't figure out what to wear even after Maria was done cooking at three o'clock. When I asked Maria for advice she told me to pick out something comfortable that I won't mind being in for hours. She also told me to make sure whatever I pick will keep me warm because it's getting close to winter time and is kind of cold outside. The stress of trying to figure out my outfit had me slipping in and out of little space. I assumed I needed to be big for the BBQ since there will be other people there but I can't help slipping when I'm nearly panicking in my room trying to figure out clothes.

On one hand I debated wearing jeans and a t-shirt and just bringing a sweater in case I get cold because I think that's similar to what Henry will be wearing. On the other hand I wanted to wear my oversized purple sweater because it's fluffy and soft and I can be in it for hours. If I wear jeans and a t-shirt I don't think I'll be comfortable for hours because I don't like sitting in jeans, I usually wear them to walk around outside or in a store. If I wear my sweater, what pants would I wear with it and what if his family doesn't like it because I'm a boy and it's purple? I can't do this.

I felt myself fully slip into little space right then. Tears of frustration filled my eyes and I wrapped my half naked self in my blanket, clutched my stuffie close to my chest, and curled up into a ball on the floor.

That's where Henry found me at three thirty-five when he got back from work.

"Ryan, Hun, are you okay?" Henry called as he came into the room and scooped me up off the floor and into his arms. I couldn't help but curl myself closer to him and whine softly.

"Oh, has someone gone little?" He murmured clearly already knowing the answer to that question. He laid me on my back on the bed and finished stripping me of my clothes. "What were we trying to put on for the BBQ, Hun?"

I whined again and my frustration came back full force. "Okay, okay, it's okay. Is that what made you slip? Trying to figure out what to wear?" He asked. I nodded. "Were you trying to decide between two outfits or just didn't know at all?"

Instead of answering I pulled out the two outfits I was torn between. He nodded thoughtfully. "Well you don't really like sitting in jeans for long so let's not wear those. We don't want you to be uncomfortable and we don't know how long we're going to be there. I'm surprised you were debating at all when your purple sweater is one of the options."

"What if his family gets mad at me?" I whispered softly.

He frowned. "Why would they get mad at you?"

"Cuz I'm a boy... and that's purple."

"If they get mad at you for something that you enjoy wearing then they are not worth a second of your time. Ryan, I mean it. If someone can't accept you for who you are and the things you like they're not worth your time. Now they may not agree with you or your likes and ideas, and that's okay so long as they respect you and allow you to do as you please."

I nodded that I understood. He hugged me tightly to him and kissed my forehead. "Now let's get you dressed. What bottoms do you want with your sweater?"

I shrugged. "You pick." He thought about it for a minute. "How about we try the leggings you got last week. I know you haven't worn them yet and they will go well with the sweater." I nodded. "Are you still in little space? Should we put a diaper on just in case?" I quickly shook my head no. I was hoping to not slip into little space in front of his family, I don't want to embarrass him, and wearing a diaper would no doubt make me slip faster.

He nodded again. "Okay that's fine. I am going to pack a bag to keep in the car just in case you slip. This way we'll have everything to take care of you if it happens. Ryan, I want you to know that it is nothing to be ashamed of. It happens. You can't help it. It's a part of you that they, if they really care about you, will accept."

"Guys we gotta go or we're going to be late!" Maria yelled from the bottom of the stairs. I got dressed quickly while Henry got a bag together, and we made our way downstairs. Maria smiled at me, ruffled my hair, and led us out to the car. I slid into the back seat and took a deep breath. I hope they like me.