Epilogue

"You need to hurry up", Naira grimaces at her husband who is just getting out of the shower.

Winking at her, he grabs a towel. "You don't seem to mind the view."

Rolling her eyes at him, she clicks her tongue in annoyance. "You're very handsome, but if we do not hurry, your son will not shut up about it for a hundred years! I'm still hearing about the last wedding we missed back when he was seducing Queen Elizabeth."

Cackling, Aleksander raises his eyebrows. "Why is he always referred to as my son when he's doing something you dislike?"

"Because you both have a tendency of bringing up ancient history", she retorts. "I mean, he didn't even get to marry her, she died a virgin!" Fanning herself with her right hand, she shakes her head, "And he blames us for it!"

Shrugging, Aleksander wraps the towel around his waist. "At least he got to bed Queen Mary."

Throwing a slipper his way, Naira grumbles under her breath.

"I didn't quite catch that?!" Aleksander laughs, enjoying riling up his wife far too much.

"DON'T BADMOUTH QUEENS!"

In the time that had passed, they've had five children.

Two were girls he adored – Amara and Leila. They definitely got away with everything for that reason alone. He liked their temper as they were both Inferni. Using their ability had granted them a longer life than most humans would have, but alas, they passed. They did have loving families that Aleksander and Naira still track and check in from time to time. Some of them were given a chance to rule Ravka – temporarily, of course. Both daughters were buried next to Genya where the most beautiful magnolia tree blossoms every spring.

Out of the three boys they had, only one had become a Shadow Summoner: Kieran - their firstborn son. It certainly made sense as no other baby would have survived what Naira had been through at the time. Oftentimes, he'd give his mother a headache, but Aleksander can tell she's eternally grateful he's alive, with them still. Even though they aren't always together, they see each other often. Modern technology helps too.

His second son was angelic. He didn't have a bad bone in his body. Aleksander often wondered how he came to be from someone like him, but he didn't question his wife's purity might be involved more than his impurity. Alexei was a Tailor who dedicated his life to helping disfigured people regain their previous look – today, Aleksander imagined he'd be a plastic surgeon specializing in reconstructive surgery.

His youngest son is ten years old and they do not know what small science he can manipulate just yet, thought Naira swears he's a healer. Aleksander believes he'll take after his mother. Much to his dismay, Naira named him – Mallory...Mal.

The real Mal died a long, long time ago. It wasn't a violent death for he simply fell asleep by his wife's side and never woke up. Zoya was devastated, but their children helped her through the mourning period. Their lineage have always been loyal servants to the royal family.

"Kieran is going to lose his mind with Mal", Naira turns her back to Aleksander to zip up her dress properly as she couldn't quite reach it herself.

Pressing a kiss to her shoulder, Aleksander smiles softly. "He can practice for when his fiancé gives birth."

Leaning back on Aleksander's dried body, Naira lets out a heavy sigh. "COVID restrictions finally lifted, this is the first time we can all get together. Besides, it took him so long to actually fall in love, I don't want anything to go wrong today."

"It won't", Aleksander reassures her as he turns her in his embrace.

Looking at her, his lips quiver. It's undeniable that his heart still skips a beat whenever she looks back at him. She's like a breath of fresh air, always there to remind him how lucky he is for finding her. She is the Spring to his Winter, dawn to his night and he's absolutely smitten by her.

"What?" Naira chuckles, finding it odd that he's gone quiet.

"I'll never get used to you", Aleksander admits. "I love you", he breathes out. "I adore every inch of you and every minute of our infinity."

Unable to keep tears at bay, Naira sniffles. "You'll ruin my make up if you keep talking so sweetly."

Shrugging, he smiles. "You're beautiful without it anyway."

Refusing to restrain herself, Naira presses her lips against Aleksander's. Kissing him for the thousand time still feels like the first time as butterflies erupt in her stomach. She pushes her fingers up and wanders through his hair, while he finds holding her closer by placing hands on her back and neck is better. Naira lets out a quiet moan and Aleksander smiles into the kiss, finding his entire body tense with the luscious sound.

"If we keep this up, we will truly be late", Aleksander warns.

Smiling too, Naira shrugs. "We'll be quick."

"Have you ever known me to be quick with you", Aleksander frowns, seemingly insulted by her words.

Shaking her head, she chuckles. "You're right!"

Taking a step back, she moves to the door as he groans. "I'm sorry! I'll be quick!"

Winking, she opens the door. "You better be, because I'm sending Kieran up if you're not dressed in five."

"Saints, why have I been given an infuriatingly stubborn wife!"

Chuckling, she sends him an air kiss. "Hurry up you demonically stunning husband!"

While they may be the longest reigning monarchs, Naira and Aleksander didn't shy away from taking some time for themselves. They had dependable people in line to take their place while they travelled, sometimes for diplomacy and other times for pleasure. Either way, they never strayed from one another. Aleksander would always love his once and future queen, the woman who rules his heart and mind. He may be king, but he'll always be her most devout subject - the only woman he'll fall to his knees for.

As he descends the stairs in his black suit, Aleksander runs his fingers through his short hair. The world changed, but so did they. Their love grew to be indestructible, their vows unbreakable. After all the struggles, Ravka had become the world's greatest empire with a high quality of life.

In an instant, Aleksander's eyes find Naira's and his lips move on their own accord. A smile forms, one that can never truly paint the truth his heart had always known – life is worth living as long as he's got her and their precious children.

Naira took it much too hard when their other children passed, but none of them had tragedy sown into their souls like she did. Aleksander made sure to always be the reason for her smile, to always bring sunshine in the darkest corners of her heart.

And when she looks at her husband, her heart is relieved. Perhaps it's remnants of the fears from their past, but she never quite likes to be apart from him. Her mind never rests until he's in her line of sight, her heart never quite as happy as it is when she sees his dashing smile.

Modern days brought modern problems for their country, but together they've adapted and thrived.

Stepping beside his wife, Aleksander takes her by the hand and intertwines their fingers as their fates have always been. She looks up at him, returning his smile with glee and as they share a loving look, Naira realizes she was right. After all the pain, they deserved a soft epilogue.