15. The distance

Aleksander spent more nights staring at the Fold than he'd care to admit. That swath of darkness had swallowed the boy he once was, everything from his past he ever cared for, and now it took her too – his present and future.

Naira promised to return, but every day that passed without her smile felt like an eternity to him; and he of all people knows a thing or two about eternity.

The shadow days ensued, darkening his mood further with each passing second. He buried himself in work, organizing new attacks that would weaken Fjerda. Their attempts of killing his most beloved could not go unpunished. Unlike before, he had joined his troops each time, bloodthirsty.

Now that he's found something real, someone who he's been searching for all his life, being alone felt akin to the agony of a dying man. Oftentimes, he hated himself for all the time he spent in vain, arguing with her instead of kissing her. Never before had he loved with such passion, such devotion and purest of intentions. Never had he known he's capable of such noble emotions.

In the end, love has it's time and reasons. He no longer fought the way it tempted his heart, he embraced it. No words are needed, he's devoted to her from now until his last breath and he made sure she knows it. He was going to love her until she couldn't think, until she had no will left, until he was sure she knew no man could ever offer pleasure he can, until he knew her promise to stay was secure.

"I apologize for the interruption, General, but we've received word from Little Palace", Polina, one of the Inferni twins spoke.

Leaning back, he narrowed his eyes at her. The last thing he needed was the Tsar to meddle with his current plans of pushing back the Fjerdan borders.

"Tsar is asking for you to return. Apparently some of his spies spoke to him about the Sun Summ –", she stops, flinching as Kirigan slams his fist on the desk.

"Who", he growls out through gritted teeth.

"I don- don't know", she stammers out. Everyone knows it's best not to anger their General and unfortunately she drew the short straw when they argued who'd bite the bullet and inform him.

Nostrils flared, the Darkling felt his heart pounding in protest. The very idea of leaving now when Naira had crossed to the other side of the Shadow Fold unnerved him. A part of him felt leaving the camp would equate to abandoning her.

What if she needs him and he's not there upon her arrival?

What if she's in danger and word of it reaches him far too late to aid her?

She may be powerful, but she's not almighty. Unlike him, she might not be as invincible. They can't kill him, but he feared she could be killed. No one knows the true extent of her power, of her mortality. It took him a long time to discover his own and he wasn't prepared to gamble with her life to find out hers.

"Find out who told the Tsar", the Darkling ordered. His eyes held tormented thoughts and for a moment they were set ablaze with rage. He was always more comfortable with violence than pain, hurt them so they cannot hurt him philosophy. It worked well so far.

"What shall I do when I find them?" She asked, attempting to keep her voice even in front of the fuming General.

Smirking, he leans forth. "Bring them to me", he raised an eyebrow. "I want to be the one to cut their throat."

Unsettled, Polina nods.

He promised death to all those who'd harm Naira and Grisha he swore to protect. Once Naira was revealed as the Sun Summoner, he had ordered both armies to keep it secret. Less people knowing meant less threats to her life and someone violated his rules.