This city's got me chasing stars

Kaz was frustrated, instead of finding a solution to cross the Fold he was instead fighting off his mind

Kaz was frustrated, instead of finding a solution to cross the Fold he was instead fighting off his mind. She was right there in his drawing room, going through a map. He tried to ignore her presence, the good thing was she wasn't interested in making a conversation either, she was consumed with the map. That made Kaz kind of mad at her, because he felt like he was completely invisible in her eyes.

He should be glad, he thought. At least, this way she keeps out of his way and his head. Or the more they talk or converse, the more he'd end up thinking about her. But he couldn't shake off the feeling, he poured himself another glass of whiskey and chugged it down. And to make things worse Inej appeared with her own worries and problems.

"What was that? Hmm? You want to tell me?" The Suli girl asked.

"Be more specific," Kaz tried to brush her off.

"It was one thing when we had at least a week to find a way across the Fold. But sunrise?" Inej murmured. "We have to say no."

"No!" Kaz puffed.

"No. To the job?" Inej asked.

"No," Kaz muttered, "to saying. No."

"We can't go!" Inej huffed.

"Can't we?" Kaz asked. Gesturing at Yui, seated on the chair scanning the maps with her emerald eyes.

Inej was more frustrated now, why did Kaz really take the lead on this job without finding a solution was it because of the money or was it because he wanted to impress the Shu spy. Inej couldn't tell, it was not easy to read Kaz Brekker it never was.

Inej showed him her peacock tattoo of the menagerie. "I can't go."

"You will. I have a plan." Kaz said.

"No, you don't," she sighed. "I know by now when you're still figuring things out. And you don't know how to pull off this job."

As soon as Inej said those words, Yui's perfect brows shot up, that caught her attention. And Kaz fumed.

"I still have six hours, and right now, you aren't helping." He hissed at Inej.

"Maybe you crack a way across, but that doesn't solve this problem!" Inej showed him her menagerie tattoo again, there was five more indentures to be paid. Inej was still not free from Tante Heleen.

 Inej was still not free from Tante Heleen