Cloud Recess III - The Past (9)

Start from the beginning

Wei Wuxian turned to face Jiang Cheng and Nie Huaisang, and he laughed. "He ignored me, bleh."

"Why does he sound happy about that?"

"I got it! It's a challenge! Wei Wuxian wants to become Lan Wangji's lover so he's happy that there's been some progress!"

"Friend," Jiang Cheng corrected automatically, but a frown soon followed. "Wait... friend? Could it be that Wei Wuxian– to Lan Wangji—?!"

Upon seeing his Uncle's face turn from pale, to green, and to the colour of his robes, Jin Ling felt a bit of sympathy — and perhaps a small amount of understanding.

Jiang Wanyin rolled his eyes. "What did you expect? Remember what you said in class last time? You're impossible!" He turned around to face the direction in which Lan Wangji had just left. "He's probably just like Lan Qiren, who thinks you're evil and bad to the guts."

"Thinks?" Lan Qiren scoffed. He looked quite disturbed by the events on the screen, but his face soon morphed into something akin to regret. "Well... maybe a bit of a troublemaker... but not evil."

"I knew you'd get there in the end, Uncle," said Lan Xichen, who seemed to be radiating happiness. "I'm sure Wangji would be very pleased to hear that. And Wuxian, for that matter."

On the other hand, Lan Wangji had lowered his head in shame, no longer able to be coddled by Wei Wuxian, who kept insisting everything was all right.

"I have no excuse," said Lan Wangji miserably.

"Sure you do," Wei Wuxian coddled. "Lan Zhan~ Husband, look at me! Look at you, so handsome! Actually, it makes me a bit happy to know I was able to marry you, when we used to be pretty much enemies. It makes for a cute love story, right?"

"Right... Very cute..." said a girl amongst the group sitting nearby Wen Ruohan, her hand scribbling as though the rate she was taking notes surpassed that of how quickly she could think.

Nie Huaisang stepped forwards, smiling behind his fan. "Yeah, Lan Wangji usually-" he began, before suddenly stopping, as though remembering something. "..No, he has never been that rude."

"Come to think of it, Hanguang-Jun gives you the impression he is really unapproachable and mean," said Ouyang Zizhen. "But he is really very polite. If he just smiled, then we'd pretty much have another Clan Leader Lan!"

Nie Huaisang quickly turned around to face Wei Wuxian with a wide smile. "But to be honest, I think what Wei-Xiong said makes sense! I don't know how many years it will take people like me to cultivate step by step as they instruct us to. The wrath and resentment of vengeful ghosts can be readily used! That sounds exciting, doesn't it?!"

Nie Mingjue sighed, patting his leg as though habitually wishing to grasp the hilt of his blade Baxia. "Huaisang... I understand how you feel about your talent for cultivation but please don't think of messing with resentful energy ever again. It is not right. And you know full well how things ended for Wei Wuxian."

"Da-Ge, I really am ashamed, I promise!" Nie Huaisang exclaimed, his face stark red in embarrassment. "I only said that then as a joke! I never even considered doing it myself, I swear, Da-Ge!"

Upon seeing his brother looking so dejected and piteous, Nie Mingjue raised his hand and gently patted Nie Huaisang on the head. "Da-Ge knows, so don't pull that face."

"You reverse the natural order, ignore ethics and morality!" exclaimed an aged, dry voice as though they hadn't the strength to shout.

"Huh? I feel like I've heard that somewhere before."