Chapter 7 : Double Trouble

Start from the beginning

Back inside the restaurant ...

Tom's eyes scanned across the restaurant as he followed behind the waiter, with Luke following behind him. His eyes caught those of couples engaging in a romantic moment, hands entwined by candlelight, whilst other big business types laughed in conversation, eagerly pouring themselves more wine. As much as he knew other people were here and probably not giving him a second glance, he had the unnerving feeling that he was being watched. But he had little time to think of that as he continued to follow through to the far side of the restaurant, passing by the large fish tank in the middle of the space towards the booths. Already he could see a woman eagerly waving at him as he approached, so of course he turned on his smile and waved back, feeling his insides cringe. He rather wished he'd stayed in the car.

"Madame?", the waiter said a little impatiently as Tina snapped herself back to look at him. She had been letting him escort her to the table in the restaurant, but of course she had become distracted by the large fish tank. It was a beautiful thing, and the large tropical multicoloured fish that swam in it just made her even more distracted. "Sorry", she muttered as she watched a man walk past the fish tank, and she swore his deep blue eyes met here's in passing. "This way", the waiter huffed impatiently and set off walking again, and Tina reluctantly followed. Walking around the fish tank which was situated in the centre of the room, they made their way over to the booths on the far side. As they approached, Tina could see the messed up brown hair of one of the occupants standing with their back turned to her, and immediately knew who it was. "Miss Highlands", the waiter announced loudly to the occupants which immediately made her cheeks blush red in embarrassment. She hated being addressed so formally.

The suited man turned, and Tina already felt the awkwardness as he avoided her gaze. "N-nice to see you again Gareth", she muttered, looking up at him, giving a little smile, which he returned. She'd only ever seen Gareth looking this smart on a few occasions, but it still took her by surprise seeing his bulky frame inside a tiny suit. Although he'd tried his best to slick his brown hair back, some of it was already beginning to stick out at odd angles. "Always a pleasure to see you, Miss Highlands. Please take a seat", he said rather calmly, perhaps too calmly. She didn't like it when Gareth had to be professional like this; she wanted her funny bodyguard friend back. "Okay. You know you can call me by my name Gareth", Tina whispered to him as she sat down in one of the high backed chairs in the booth as Gareth stood beside her. "If it's all the same with you Miss, I would rather like to keep this entirely professional tonight, given the circumstances". He looked down at her sadly, shaking his head as his hand pushed his earpiece deeper into his ear. Tina sighed and crossed her arms, slouching back in the chair as she looked across at the empty seat opposite her, a jacket hung over the back of it. Obviously her father had decided to give her and Gareth some 'alone' time to try and talk after the events of this morning.

"Your father will be back shortly", Gareth said calmly, pouring Tina a glass of water, placing it down in front of her. "Gareth, I'm sorry. I was an idiot, okay. I-I didn't mean what I said", Tina spluttered out, unable to kept it back any longer. She felt terrible about what she didn't, and didn't want to have their friendship broken. "Tina, now is not a-". "No. I've started so I'll finish", Tina interrupted him, cutting off his sentence before he had chance to finish it. "I mean it Gareth. I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said and I'm sorry that I pushed you. I didn't realise how deep all this stuff was and how much you'd sacrificed already to keep me save and out of this. I didn't realise it would mean you risking your job, or our friendship. I'm sorry. And for the record, I can't look after myself without you. I'm just a mess". Tina bit her lip after she'd finished and looked up at Gareth who just stood there, stunned. "Apology accepted, but on one condition?", Gareth finally said after a while, smiling gently. "Anything?". Gareth scratched his chin playfully for a minute, before breaking out into a chuckle. "Don't put me in a situation like that again, okay. Deal?", he concluded, holding out his large hand. "Deal!", Tina said enthusiastically, promptly shaking his hand, grinning from ear to ear, happy to have her old friend back. "And by the way, you look beautiful", he whispered quietly, giving her a wink, making her blush as he left her to wait at the table for her father to return.