PROLOGUE

The pure gold rod chairs that align down the dark oak dining room table of the Dawn Court palace may look alluring, but they lose all value once your butt goes numb after sitting in one for all of five minutes.
Growing up I was always awe-struck by the overly grand place but it never felt like home, and it certainly doesn't now as I am sitting in one of the highly uncomfortable golden chairs zoning in-and-out of what my mother was talking about.
"Ava, you will going to the Night Court to work as an apprentice under High Lord Rhysand and his mate Feyre."
Now that caught my attention. Did I hear that right?
"What?!" I finally looked up to my mother who was giving me a very annoyed look.
"Seriously Ava, where you even listening? You will be going to the Night Court to work as an apprentice to High Lord Rhysand and his mate Feyre." She said, almost yelling.
"Why? I just got back home and you're already shipping me off to another court?"
I couldn't hide the twinge of pain in my voice because I honestly didn't have the energy to shut out all the emotions flowing through my head.
"Ava, you know it isn't like that. Your father and I think it's best for you so that you can get a look at how the other courts function so that you are prepared to become the ruler of our court."
The same old excuse my parents have been using all of my life.
When I was eight, I started living full time in the Winter Court with Viv and Kallias. I quickly fell in love with the court, and the people there that became more of a family than my blood ties in the Dawn Court would ever be. And it wasn't until now, at the ripe age of twenty-six that I'm finally back at the Dawn Court, even though it looks like I won't be much longer. But truly, anywhere would be better than here, in this court that is a constant reminder of lifelong pain and the two people that brought that pain on me. I've got enough fresh pain to deal with that I don't think I could bear to be surrounded by this cold case of bitterness. And for that reason alone, I only reply,
"Okay."
With that, I excuse myself and head towards my bedroom so I could begin packing my things. Again.

———————————————————————————

My mother looks around my room, likely at its disheveled state, and sighs. She turned to walk out but some newfound energy, that I don't know how I have, brings to mind a thought from our earlier conversation. She turns to walk out but I say,
"Didn't you mean High Lord Rhysand and High Lady Feyre?"
My mothers frame stiffens at the words like she was hit with a blow. I don't need to see the look on my mother's face to know what expression she wears. One of disgust.
My parents aren't exactly the most misogynistic people you'll ever meet, especially compared to Beron and those clowns he calls sons over at the Autumn Court, but they still hold very traditional values. This is probably a major factor into why me and my parents don't get along. I'm not the stuffy pretentious princess they tried to mold me into. I can probably thank Viviane and Kallias for that. They are more parents to me than mine ever will be. A feeling of pure sadness washes over me to think about that. The fact that I left my true home, my family. But I had to, I had to get out.
My mother turned her head over her shoulder just enough for me to see her amber eyes.
"Of course. Now, High Lord Rhysand and High Lady Feyre," she almost sneered, "will be coming tomorrow to meet with us and take you back with them to the Night Court."
When she was done, she quickly turned and jotted out of my room.
I took a deep breath and tried to think about anything else other than what was happening. I didn't really know much of anything about the Night Court. I'd obviously heard the rumors about how terrifying and cruel the place was, not to mention the High Lord himself, but I'd also heard things had changed since he found his mate. I guess a new adventure is awaiting... even though I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.