01: WAITING GAME

IT WAS 6:30 IN THE AFTERNOON when a family of four were cleaning up the aftermath of their dinner– or rather three, as the eldest daughter took a seat with a sigh on the couch and kicked her feet up on one of the suitcases sitting in front of her.

Kendall Chevrette left her parents and sister to do the cleaning up as she checked her phone for any signs of her boyfriend making an appearance. He was supposed to be picking her up to take the two to the airport but she had last spoke to him two hours ago and was hating him for the lack of updates he was supplying. For all she knew, he was still asleep whilst she was here, dressed for a flight they were probably going to miss. She was dressed comfortably for the plane ride, in a matching powder pink jacket and joggers with a plain, white t-shirt underneath, so she wasn't complaining too much because at least she wasn't waiting around in jeans.

"You gonna sit on your fucking ass or are you gonna come dry these dishes?" Chloe Chevrette called from the kitchen, and despite agreeing with her question, their mom interrupted and slapped her arm for her vulgarity.

Jemma and Andrew Chevrette had been married for sixteen years. They were both partly French-American, which explained the last name, and they lived in Seattle with the two girls they had raised since newborns.
Andrew was Jemma's second marriage — the first being to her daughters' father but he was so long out of the picture she couldn't pinpoint when she'd last seen him, it couldn't have been anymore than five years ago.

Andrew was who the girls claimed to be their father for as long as they could speak - their dad. He had been around since they were born and labelled them his own, and they loved that. Kendall was his sticking plaster - although her teenage years definitely brought out their differences when the two had a quarrel, they definitely had the tighter bond between the two. She was actually one of those girls who didn't have an emotionally distant father — she could consider her dad a friend — not that she'd EVER tell him that. Maybe it was because Chloe was such a suck-up to their mom that Drew had no other choice but to be close to Kendall so he could fight her corner.

They could be considered the cool parents, being chill and laidback— if anything, like still big kids themselves, but you know . . they were still their parents. And they still didn't approve of swearing so spitefully. "Chloe, shut up and do the dishes. She can't get her outfit dirty."

"And she's gonna get it dirty with hot, soapy water?" The blonde questioned, wiping a plate with her yellow rubber gloves on, and Kendall scoffed loudly from the living room so that she could hear.
"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!"

"Oh hush, the both of you," Drew rolled his eyes as walked from the kitchen to the living room, "Kendall did dishes yesterday. Leave her alone."

"Thank you dad!" Kendall held her arm up to his appreciation, and he fist-bumped her with the TV remote in his hand.

He took a seat beside her. "You all good to go?"

"Yep," she looked up from her phone and down at all the luggage, the excitement bubbling up in her, "all good to go."

"You sure?" He questioned, taking her back.

She looked at him questionably at the uneasiness in his tone– he sounded a little too concerned, "yeah . . why?"

"'Cause I think you forgot the kitchen sink."
He hit her leg with his hand, before going into a fit of laughter. Kendall rolled her eyes at his idiom joke and shrugged him off as she stood up to look out the window. "Ha, Ha."

"I know, Kenny, you really need all those cases?" Jemma asked with a mug and towel in her hands, "all of them?"

Kendall felt like she had been asked that question 8,000 times already. "YES! I need all three cases!" She picked the one from the floor, "I'm gone the ENTIRE summer! I have outfits for L.A! I have outfits for Venice! And I have outfits for Paris! I come back to Seattle for a week — where I am still with Vinnie's family – we are then going away someplace, then back, and then possibly away again, so yes! I DO need three cases! I probably need more! I need three cases, a duffel bag, and my backpack!"