Chapter 44 - The Elusive Truth

Start from the beginning

“Ollie did something to him, but he’ll be okay.” Zoe answered.

“Caleb?” Zach said. “There’s something else.”

“Oh?”

“Ollie had powers. These light powers, and telekinesis. We’re not entirely sure about all of it. But it was pretty scary.” Zach said.

Caleb’s faced remained an impenetrable mask.

Zach glanced at Binny giving her a look before continuing to talk to Caleb. “Since you gave us our powers, we were just wondering where he got his powers from.”

Caleb looked down at his hands and then back up at Zach. “That’s an excellent question Mr. Jordan.”

Seeing no answer forthcoming, Zach plowed forward. “Did you know Ollie had powers?”

The silence hung in the air for what seemed like a minute. Finally Caleb uttered one word, “No.”

Zach immediately turned to Binny. “Well?”

Binny shook her head, and spoke with a sadness in her voice. “It’s confusing. It’s not an outright lie, but it’s definitely not the truth.”

The faces of the other four children got stonier as Binny rendered her verdict.

Zach stood up and faced the grandfatherly old man in the overalls that they had welcomed into their hideout and into their secret lives so readily. Zach spoke without malice or anger but with resolve, “Caleb, I’m sorry to say this, but it seems like we can’t trust you anymore.”

Caleb hung his head. “I understand.”

“That’s it? You understand?” Binny was angry.

“Yes. I do.” Caleb said quietly.

“Well I don’t understand. Why don’t you just tell us what’s going on?” Binny shouted.

“I am trying to...” Caleb started to respond, but Binny didn’t hear him. Binny’s eyes burned red, and her pulse beat loud in her ears. Binny’s face was scrunched in anger.

Zach addressed Caleb, “I’m sorry Caleb. We’re grateful for the times you’ve helped us. But, you shouldn’t come here again.”

On that note, Zach and the other children walked towards the staircase, and made the long trek out of the shelter towards the warmth and safety of home.

Caleb Adams stayed rooted to the spot as the kids exited the shelter. His face revealed nothing of his thoughts. He just stood and stood. He wondered for a moment if this was how the trees felt.

Out of the corner of Caleb’s eye, he saw a brief flash of light. The white sparkling ivy disappeared as fast as it had appeared, and in the very same spot now stood Cassie Jordan, her face inscrutable.

Neither said anything or looked away for what seemed like a long time. And then suddenly, Cassie ran to Caleb and hugged him with the full force of her eight-year-old grip.

Caleb reached a hand down to pat Cassie on the back gently. Cassie’s eyes were closed as she hugged Caleb even tighter. If she’d looked up she would have seen a tear rolling down Caleb’s lined cheek.

§

“Oooh. I love how you drew Rembrandt jumping out of the dumpster. The kids look so surprised to find him there. Cassie looks like she’s afraid he’s gonna flatten her.” Serena admired Jay’s handiwork.”

“Yes. That’s exactly what I was going for.” Jay said.

“It’s great.” Serena smiled.

“It should be. We’ve been working on it for a month. Tell me again why you made the parents so dopey?” Jay asked. It was a familiar argument he and Serena had discussed several times now.