Chapter 38 - The Linden Tree

Start from the beginning

Jay sat down at the table in front of the children. “Kids, what you guys are doing is admirable. But you’ve blanketed the neighborhood, what, probably half a dozen times today? There’s nothing more you can do.”

“We think there is.” Zach said.

Jay thought back to the conversation earlier in the day and realized the opportunity that was presenting itself. “You really want to do this?”

“Yes.” Zach said.

Binny and Cassie nodded vigorously behind him.

“OK. I admire your perseverance. But home by nine ok?” Jay said.

“What about dinner?” Julie asked, surprised that Jay had acquiesced.

“We’ll grab peanut butter sandwiches to go.” Zach said.

“Banana in mine please.” Cassie added.

“Hope you’re hungry. We have way too many tacos for just you and me.” Jay joked with Julie.

§

Gabriel Walker’s house sat on a quiet street on the edge of Madrona bordering Seattle’s Central District. Yellow slats of wood were interrupted periodically by white framed windows. James Flowers had painted the house the previous summer before the family had moved in with his father-in-law.

Zoe sat in the white-framed window of her small room in the old house petting her cat. She’d been nervous about leaving her window open with Tango about. Tango was most definitely an indoor cat. Zoe had insisted on that when they got her. As such, she didn’t have a lot of experience outdoors except for the periodic escape out the front door, and the tall tree in front of the house looked like it might be a tempting destination for Zoe’s calico-colored friend.

Zoe wasn’t sure how to think about the day. Her power, such as it was, had finally manifested itself in front of the other kids. Something that had embarrassed and puzzled her for some time was now out in the open. And while it wasn’t as impressive as what the other kids could do, it was at least something that made her feel like she belonged.

Though she still couldn’t do it on command, it had come at the right moment, letting them escape back to the shelter so they could resume their search. But what had that really bought them anyway? The pool and the library basement had been empty. Rembrandt and Ollie weren’t there. As far as she could tell, they had vanished into thin air.

Zoe absent-mindedly scratched under Tango’s chin and let her eyes go out of focus as she looked down the street and to the sliver of mountains that were visible from her windowsill. But then, as happens sometimes, something interrupted her moment of reflection. A blurry gray blot was walking up the street. 

Zoe took a moment to focus her eyes. The smudge at the bottom of her vision sharpened into focus – four kids walking down the street at a brisk pace. Zach, Binny, Penny, and Cassie were walking towards her house! The surprise woke her out of her reverie and gave her a small ray of hope. Maybe they’ve got a clue? Zoe tried to temper her enthusiasm, but couldn’t help shooting down the stairs to greet her guests at the front door.

Zach was about to press the doorbell when the door opened. Zoe stood there, her hair as large as ever, and despite the circumstances, a big smile on her face. She was happy to see them.

“Hey. What are you guys doing here?” Zoe said.

“How did you know to open the door before we rang the bell?” Binny asked.

“Another one of my super powers.” Zoe winked.

“You have another super power?” Gabe made an appearance at the door.