Chapter 35 - The Ice Cream Break

Start from the beginning

“Both.” Zoe harumphed.

“I’m hungry.” Gabe complained quietly.

As frustrated as she was, even Zoe had to admit they hadn’t eaten in hours.

“I’m hungry too.” Cassie added.

Binny spoke up. “I know it feels awful while Rembrandt is still missing, but we’re not going to have any energy to find him if we don’t eat something.”

“You read my mind.” Zoe said.

“I promise I didn’t.” Binny said.

Despite how serious and sad they all felt, everyone laughed.

“Can we get ice cream?” Gabe sensed the tide turning in his direction.

“It is really hot.” Cassie added.

“Ice cream isn’t lunch.” Zoe said.

Zach raised his eyebrows at Zoe. “I can pay.” Zach let the words hang in the air.

“Alright, alright. Ice cream for lunch. But today only. And no telling Mom and Dad.” Zoe acquiesced.

They were only two blocks from the Madrona commercial district and a few minutes later they found themselves in line at Soul Repair looking over the menu.

“Children, children, welcome.” Kay Athanasios, the proprietor of Madrona’s handcrafted ice cream shrine stood behind the counter as the kids funneled into the shop. Afternoon sunlight snuck into the shop making the pale aquamarine crystals in Kay’s long curly black hair sparkle. Despite the heat of the day, the shop was relatively empty in the early afternoon.

“Hi Kay.” Binny said.

“Hi Binny, Zach, Cassie, Penny. Who are your new friends?” Kay asked.

“This is Zoe and Gabe.” Binny responded.

Zoe and Gabe waved.

Kay leaned in to examine Gabe. “Gabe, you look very familiar to me. Your last name isn’t Walker, is it?”

“No. It’s Flowers.” Gabe explained.

“Walker is our grandfather.” Zoe explained.

“Well that would explain it.” Kay smiled that her hunch had been correct. “You know, when kids come into my shop on a hot day, they’re usually smiling ear-to-ear. Not you six. What’s wrong?”

Zach stepped forward. “A dog we really like has gone missing. We’ve been trying to find him, but we’ve had no luck so far.”

“Oh my. Another one?” Kay pointed at the bulletin board in Soul Repair that was covered in missing pet notices.

“We’re gonna find him.” Zoe said determinedly.

“Of course you are Zoe. Of course you are.” Kay reassured. “But you all look pretty wiped. I think a quick ice cream break might be ok in this case. Just so you can recharge for a bit. Sound good?”

Six heads nodded in agreement.

“But I have a favor to ask.” Kay pursed her lips. “I want to experiment on you today.”

“You too?” Cassie blurted out.

A puzzled look crossed Kay’s face.

Binny put her arm on Cassie’s shoulder. “She’s just kidding.”

Kay continued, “Do you guys like playing baseball on a hot summer day?”

“Not as much as ice cream.” Gabe said, suspicious of where Kay was heading.