Chapter 28 - The Last Walk

Start from the beginning

“Like what?” Zoe said.

Zach looked nervous at her inquiry, but continued. “Well, for one, this is just a prediction. The computer doesn’t know that this is where the petnapper lives, it’s just making an educated guess. So the first thing we need to do is confirm who lives there.”

“Can’t we just look that up on the Internet?” Zoe asked.

“I already tried. The information for that house is unlisted.” Zach replied. “Secondly, it could be one of the houses nearby. There’s not a ton of data on the missing pets, so it’s not super exact.”

Zoe and Penny looked like they were going to protest more, but Zach continued before they could start. “But even once we find the right house, I think…” Zach took a deep breath before he finished his sentence. “I think once we identify the house, and confirm that the kid lives there, we should call the police and let them confront him.”

Even Binny looked surprised at Zach’s last sentence.

“What happened to doing things ourselves and not depending on adults?” Zoe asked, hands on her hips.

“I still believe in that. I definitely do. But if we can confirm that the same kid we saw in the park lives where the computer predicts, then I think we’ll have all the proof we need to let the police do their job. What are we going to do, arrest him?”

The kids all nodded their heads slowly in reluctant agreement. Even Zoe, who looked skeptical, but accepted Zach’s logic. Everyone except Cassie, who had a look of grim determination and sadness on her face. Nobody noticed that though.

§

“I miss Rembrandt!” Cassie said.

The kids had all gone to their respective homes for the night agreeing that it was too late to start their surveillance effort until the next day.

“Do we have time to walk Rembrandt before dinner?” Binny asked her parents.

Julie Jordan gave her ex-husband a glance as he was  busy making dinner.

Jay checked the time. “Yeah, okay. But not crazy long. Dinner’s going to be ready soon. So a quick walk, okay?”

“Uh-huh.” Cassie was nodding vigorously even as she was walking towards the front door. “I’ll see if Penny wants to go too.” 

“Are you coming Mom?” Binny asked. Her mother hadn’t been accompanying them on their dog-walking outings lately. 

“Uh, no thanks honey. I’ll stay and help your father with dinner.” Julie gave her daughter a strained smile.

Binny wasn’t sure why her mother suddenly seemed less interested in Dr. Huitre. But Binny was thankful either way as she was still uncomfortable with any connection between the two. Binny headed out of the house to find Cassie and Penny waiting on the sidewalk.

“Your Mom’s not coming?” Penny asked.

The trio had started the short trek down the hill to Huitre’s house.

“Nope.” Binny responded.

Penny thought better of digging any further.

“I could do this alone you know.” Cassie interrupted the silence.

“Do what?” Binny asked.

“This. Go to Dr. Huitre’s house. Walk Rembrandt. The whole thing.”

Binny rolled her eyes.

“I’m getting older you know. I know the way. I can cross the street.”