CHAPTER FIVE

Past

Past...

I pop the boot of my car and pick out the picnic basket. Chiara is working an extra long shift today, so I thought it would be a nice idea to surprise her.

It's almost one o'clock which is lunch time for her, so I make my way towards the hotel, hoping she hasn't eaten already. I know she won't be expecting me, and will love the food I picked out.

The entranceway is pretty crowded with people checking in and out, but I don't see Chiara anywhere. There's a place card sitting on the desk, but no sign of her.

Please ring the bell for assistance.

I press it a couple of times and step back, only having to wait a few moments before the staff door opens to reveal a disheveled Chiara. Fuck is she gorgeous.

"I'm so sorry," she says, holding two files and whilst attempting to push her hair back from her face with her arm.

"No sweat, sweetheart," I say.

I know I'm flashing her my best smile because her cheeks go all rosy and she's fiddling with her hair. I'm leaning over the counter and she's reaching out for my hand, stumbling when she takes it so I can plant a kiss on her cheek.

"Miles, what are you doing here?" she asks when she pulls away.

I lift up the basket. "I brought you dinner."

She beams. "You did?"

I should get a haircut because it's all in my eyes, but then I'll miss Chiara tugging on it when she's close to—

"Miles Clay? Is that you?"

My shoulders turn to see four men standing there in golfing trousers and matching plaited wool jumpers. They all step closer when I smile, spouting off loads of praise my way.

"I'm so chuffed with your season," the bald-headed guy says with the rest of them nodding along.

I grin. "Cheers, mate. I wasn't sure how it would go coming back from the injury last year, but it seems good."

They all speak at once, bombarding me with way too many questions, while I glance over to Chiara, who's leaning against the counter on one elbow, smiling as she watches us. I throw her a wink and she tosses one right back.

"Lads, I think he's busy," says the older guy with a knowing smile.

The others look back to Chiara who attempts to look busy with all eyes on her. I find it so adorable, but make sure to thank the guys for their support first, smiling when they tell me she's a cracker.

"She's a sweetheart," I let them know, not enjoying them insinuating anything.

My hand goes out to her and she takes it, leading me to the end of the counter where I wrap my arm around her waist. She tells me she has to quickly clock out for the day so I wait back, excited to get eating some of this food.