"What is it?" she said. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

I didn't bother her with an answer as I closed my eyes feeling my shield for a second and was startled when I saw how tightly I had grounded it, but I didn't loosen it knowing I had to work my way from this situation quickly and emotions is nothing but weakness.

Ludo Bagman entered the room.

He took me by the arm and led me forward.

"Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing my arm and I had to bite back a snarky remark which was on the tip of tongue knowing that will get me no where in this horrible situation.

"Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen . . . lady," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other three.

"May I introduce — incredible though it may seem — the fourth Triwizard champion?"

Viktor Krum straightened up. His surly face darkened as he surveyed me challengingly.

Cedric looked nonplussed. He looked from Bagman to Harry and back again as though sure he must have misheard what Bagman had said. Fleur Delacour, however, tossed her hair, smiling, and said, "Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester Bagman."

"Joke?" Bagman repeated, bewildered. "No, no, not at all! Lyra's name just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"

Krum's thick eyebrows contracted slightly. Cedric was still looking politely bewildered. Fleur frowned.

"But evidently zair 'as been a mistake," she said contemptuously to Bagman. " 'E cannot compete. 'E is too young."

"Well . . . it is amazing," said Bagman, rubbing his smooth chin and smiling down at Lyra.

" But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as her name's come out of the goblet . . . I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage. . . . It's down in the rules, you're obliged . . . Lyra will just have to do the best she —"

Surely there is something that could help me, something to get me out of this situation, I thought naively.

The door behind them opened again, and a large group of people came in: Professor Dumbledore, followed closely by Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape.

"Madame Maxime!" said Fleur at once, striding over to her headmistress. "Zey are saying zat zis little girl is to compete also!"

Somewhere under my cold disbelief I felt a ripple of anger. Little girl? This little girl can crush you, you bitch!

Madame Maxime had drawn herself up to her full, and considerable, height.

The top of her handsome head brushed the candle filled chandelier, and her gigantic black-satin bosom swelled.

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" she said imperiously.

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. He was wearing a steely smile, and his blue eyes were like chips of ice.

"Two Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions — or have I not read the rules carefully enough?" He gave a short and nasty laugh.

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous hand with its many superb opals was resting upon Fleur's shoulder. " 'Ogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most injust."

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff, his steely smile still in place, though his eyes were colder than ever. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."