Chapter One

You see, at Thorne Academy for the Gifted, one does not simply "get noticed". You have to have the right family, the right personality, and the right budget. you basically have to pretend to be perfect. for me personally, I find that quite a drag. Of course I then find myself highly disliked among the ones who do care about that kind of stuff. I think I'm just too lazy.
I looked at my ghost of a reflection in the mirror. I never found myself that attractive as I looked at my pale skin, thin blonde hair, and charcoal eyes with big lavender glasses hanging awkwardly off my nose. I literally looked like a very non threatening spirit. And it didn't help that I only particularly liked pastel colors to wear. my mom always explained me as 'a girl who looks like if you touch her, she'll float away." thanks mother.
I heard a beeping noise coming from outside the house and realized it was the bus. "Vivianne honey, the bus is here! Come and get your lunch!" My mom yelled. I took one last look at my thin reflection and ran out the bathroom door, and kissed my mom goodbye as she handed me my lunch.
Time for another day of misery at the dreaded Thorne Academy. I ran out of my house with sneakers half on, hair undone, and purple glasses hanging off my nose.
I just made it on to the bus right as it was about to drive off. "Hi Miss. Hagweaver!" I squeaked to the scary looking bus driver at the front of the bus. the half woman half man grunted at me and gestured at me to sit down. I did so.

I always sat at the front of the bus because the back was always filled with those sketchy kids dressed in all black who always had spare cigarettes in their back pockets.
Once I settled in on the bus, I unzipped my bright pink backpack I had since third grade to grab my most recent book, 'A Wrinkle In Time". The book made my head hurt; thinking of all those philosophical questions that came from the title alone.

The bus always sounded like a bunch of monkeys that learned how to use an air horn, but I always managed to block the noise out with a good book. no one confronted me; they never did. I was pretty sure that I was the only one that knew my name on this bus, which was confusing and hard to pronounce.Vivianne Danique. I sighed. who needed friends?
Many stops later, the real hell began. the Academy. The bus slowed to a stop and kids young and old began streaming out of the rickety old bus.

I put my book back into my old backpack and followed the line of eager kids to their fist day of school at Thorne Academy for the Gifted. I looked at the all too familiar stone building. At this distance, it looked like a castle from a fairytale, but when you got closer, you realized it was more of a prison. Kids separated into their grades outside in a straight line. I slowly came over to the Senior line and pulled out my book once again, waiting to go inside. For me, the line was the worst part of the day because everyone was so loud and since I was so small compared to the other supermodel girls in my grade, I was easy to push around.

Just as one particularly hefty senior with a bald head bowled me over for the umpteenth time, a voice sounded out from the fest of them. "Hey Owlsley, yeah I'm taliking to you. Listen up. You'd better stop doing that before I do something that allows me to see a Thestral." I stared in awe of a skinny guy with black hair and burning blue eyes in the back of the line told the bald kid off for knocking me over. The bald kid supposedly named Owlsley sneered at his remark because I was pretty sure he hadn't read the Harry Potter series. Let alone read for that matter. I gave a thankful glance to the boy that gave the Harry Potter remark, but he was gone. I shrugged and went back to reading my book.

For me, it was my last year at this wretched school. Then I would be free of mandatory education. At eighteen years, that thought gave me a buzz of adrenaline. Everybody thinks that intelligent people enjoy school, but that is quite the oppisite; according to my experience. I despise school. I got off that bus never the less and continued on to my first class of the day.

The first day of senior year wasn't special. It was like every other day. I got ignored, I was just about the only one raising my hand in French, and got an A- on my Summer vacation Essay. And when I was noticed, I was either begged to do another classmates homework (which I not-so-politely refused), or pushed around for being smarter (which I indeed was). Same old same old. You might say I'm a bit stuck up; so I am. My intelligence is the only thing I value in my life, so I've decided to embrace it.