Chapter 14 - The Awful Smell

Start from the beginning

Zoe turned her head back towards Binny offering a small smile of acknowledgement.

“Be careful Zoe. It’s crazy dark in there.” Zach said hoping his voice contained an appropriate amount of concern for someone who was just a friend.

A look passed between Penny and Binny.

“At least the smell is fading a bit.” Zoe said as she tentatively explored the other side of the wall.

“What do you see?” Penny asked.

“I know this sounds weird, but it’s almost like a ticket booth.” Zoe felt along the wall for a light switch. “I can’t find a way to turn on the lights either.” 

Remembering her mission, Zoe, looked past the dirty glass of the booth and in the direction that her little brother had travelled. “It’s crazy dark.” Zoe heard the word ‘dark’ echo. “And I think it’s big.”

“My turn.” Cassie pushed a stool up next to the hole and was scrambling through the opening.

“Cassie, wait, it’s not safe.” Binny put a hand on her shoulder.

“You’re not the only who can help you know.” Cassie said.

“It’s okay, we’re all going to go through and help.” Zach reassured.

“There’s an edge.” Zoe said with more fear in her voice than she intended.

“What do you mean an edge?” Binny asked.

“I was feeling along the wall and then it ends. The floor too. It’s like I’m on the edge of a pool. A huge pool. I’m not sure how deep it is.”

“Wait for us.” Zach said as they helped Cassie through the hole and followed in suit.

Zach and Penny were on their knees trying to peer into the abyss of the dark room with no luck. Very little of the light from the room they had been in extended into the extremely short hallway in which they found themselves.

“He’s down there.” Zoe’s heart was beating even faster.

Binny could see Gabe’s thoughts in her mind. Binny put a hand on Zoe’s shoulder. “He’s fine. I think his dreams are even starting to come back too. Something candy related?” Now Binny looked puzzled.

Zoe smiled despite herself. “That’s him alright.” Zoe sidled up as close to the edge as she dared. “Gabe? Gabe? Are you okay?” Her voice bounced around in the dark echoing and unanswered.

“I want to look.” Cassie said.

“There’s not enough room Cassie. It’s really tight in here.” Zach tried to placate his sister.

“Everyone’s had a turn but me.” Cassie complained.

“There’s nothing to see.” Penny added trying to be helpful. “It’s pitch black.”

Cassie’s arms were crossed, her face an angry scrunch. “You keep saying we’re going to do this together, but you keep ignoring me. I can help too!”

“I’m sure turning invisible will be a big help.” Binny said.

“She can turn invisible?” Zoe asked incredulously, momentarily distracted by the endless supply of amazing news.

“It’s not that impressive. She can’t do it on purpose.” Zach chuckled.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!” Cassie growled in frustration.

A lone gleaming silvery tendril of light sprouted out of Cassie’s clenched right fist. It was quickly followed by another from her left ankle. The tendrils snaked up their respective limbs sprouting small offshoots like ivy.