The Forgotten

"I'm sorry, I just don't know who you are."
Those words shattered the captain.

———————————————————————

It had been 3 months and Avocato had yet to regain his memories. Gary had just returned to the ship two days ago, yet everything he tried had failed.
Gary found Avocato staring out into space. He came up behind him and rested a hand on his shoulder, noticing the ventrexian tensing up at the touch. He turned his head to look at the blonde. "Oh. Hello..." he trailed off, eyebrows furrowing as he thought about what the blonde's name was.
"Gary. It's.. it's Gary, bud." The captain said, giving him a sad smile.
"Oh, yeah. Gary." Avocato said, looking away from him.
"You.. you really don't remember, do you? Do you remember when we did the clasp of friends? All the card games? Our family..?"
"I'm sorry, I just don't know who you are."
Those words shattered the captain. He sighed, looking down.
Avocato raised a hand to Gary's cheek, causing the human to flinch.
"Oh- Sorry I didn't mean to scare you or anything I just thought that might-"
Gary raised a finger to his mouth, shushing the ventrexian.
"It's ok, I'm just.. surprised."
Avocato awkwardly held Gary's face in his hand, the human leaning in to his touch.
It all came back.
Everything.
"Avocato? You there man?"
The ventrexian shook his head, looking at Gary with that familiar sparkle in his eyes.
"Avo..?"
"I... I remember."
Gary smiled and hugged him tightly, almost crying tears of joy.
"Hey, baby." The ventrexian said, returning the embrace.
Gary pulled back so he could make eye contact with him. "I love you so, so much. Don't scare me like that again, got it?"
Avocato lightly chuckled, "Order received, captain."