Part twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

So instead, I replied with nothing as well, the room filled up with trash and a whole lot of nothing that felt like something.  

A few hours later, Coop and Izzy came to pick me up, Sylvia reassuring me that she would clean the rest of the house and to not worry. I was getting ready to cancel my plans, feeling shitty or shittier if I left this woman on her break to pick up the whole backyard that probably smelled like barf and cold pizza, though she hugged me and said in her thick accent,

“Wineee, et iz jo bethday. Go be wit jo frendz while jor yung.”

I couldn’t say no to that, especially since she seemed to be trying so hard to make today good for me and so I gave her a hug, my body realizing how much I needed one at that moment and she didn’t say anything else. She just let me hold her and I let her hold me and I felt a bit more at ease.

I had gotten ready quickly, knowing that I didn’t have to dress up since Coop and Izzy don’t care about what I wear. I could be wearing a fucking potato sack with numerous holes and they would find it acceptable.

Izzy and Coop practically tackled me when I walked outside, both of them hugging me tightly to the point where I had trouble breathing, a very small smile growing on my lips. Danny couldn’t join us since he had begun his pre season practice and couldn’t get out of it, even though he did try as Coop had mentioned. I didn’t mind though, especially since I really needed a day with just these two and what a day it was.

Coop bought all of us McDonalds as promised, my body having to force the food down due to my very lack of appetite, eating seeming to be more of a task than anything else. However, I didn’t comment on it. I just continued eating, continued to mask everything I was feeling so neither one of them would know. It was an amazing day. It truly was and when I opened my gift which was revealed to be an Elvis case for my phone, followed by Izzy’s joyous smile when she bit into her first bite of fast food in years, I almost cried. I almost hugged the both of them so hard in the corner of that restaurant. I almost admitted how much I need them to stay with me as I would sob into Coop’s neck. I almost did what was expected of a crazy person like me. However, I didn’t want them to be reminded. I wanted them to think they were having a simple birthday lunch with their simple friend who was simply happy and who was not at all unhealthily dependent on them.

And for the first time, I lied to everyone except myself.

We all went to the theater after, Coop once again paying for everything and even though I offered to pay for at least my own ticket, Coop refused.

I hadn’t been in a theater in a few years and the atmosphere was comforting and secluded, the darkness allowing me to let myself feel a bit of what I had been holding in. I didn’t cry, but my chest felt heavier and when I felt Izzy grab my hand, I know she noticed and I had to excuse myself to the bathroom to cry. It was too much for me, having to pretend as if nothing happened when my world felt like it was shattering to pieces right around me.

But then I returned and Coop glanced at me, only half of his face visible due to the lights from the film that was playing in front of us.