Chapter 52 ~ Return to Faerchester

Start from the beginning

***

The carriage rumbled on for what seemed like hours. Dylan sank back into her seat, listening to the sound of rain beating down on the carriage roof. She felt unreasonably agitated.

'I can't take this anymore.'

Dylan pushed the carriage window open and stuck her head out. Rain whipped against her face painfully, like a shower of pins stabbing into a cushion. "Sir Cadence!" she yelled.

Cadence did not sit in the carriage with her as they travelled to Faerchester, instead he rode his horse alongside. She could hardly see through the rain. Where was he?

"Stop the carriage!" she yelled as she beat her fists against the wooden carriage wall. "I said stop!"

"Milady," the coachman shouted frantically, "you'll spook the horses!"

"Stop!"

The coachman pulled the carriage to a halt with difficulty. Dylan wrenched open the door and stepped out onto the wet cobblestone road. The rain beat down with hard strength, soaking her through to the skin. 

"Milady, you can't be outside in this weather!" The coachman's voice was a plea. "Please get back in the carriage."

She shook her head. "I don't want to."

She heard horse hooves slosh against the wet cobblestone, clopping along the road, and turned to see who was approaching. Sitting atop his horse, Cadence looked down upon her with a worried expression.

"I'm riding with you," she said, the rain plastering her curls to her head. "I don't want to ride alone."

He dismounted his horse and walked toward where she was standing. His jacket was soaked and his shirt clung to his back, revealing a muscular physique she'd only imagined. Dylan's entire body heated and she flushed red. What a silly girl she was. It had only just occurred to her that Cadence was a man.

Cadence took off his jacket and slung it over her soaked shoulders. He began to fasten the row of buttons on the jacket, while an indescribable emotion filled his eyes. Dylan shivered when his fingertips brushed her lightly. His touch felt different from all the others.

"Please," she whispered. "Let me ride with you."

His hands paused. He didn't mind not having a tongue, since there was no reason for him to speak. At least that was the case—until he met her. Now there were so many things he wanted to say to her. So many things.

Cadence brushed her soaked hair away from her face. Man, she was beautiful. They were standing close enough that he could feel the warmth of her breath on his lips, see the way the raindrops clung to her eyelashes. 

Dylan shivered. It wasn't from the rain, but because of the path his eyes were taking from her face along her neck to her chest.

"Can't I?" she asked him.

Cadence nodded, lifting her into his arms. Dylan put her hands on his shoulders and felt his muscles flex beneath the fabric of his shirt. Carefully placing her in the saddle, he mounted behind her and drew her back against his muscular chest. The feel of his solid, warm body pressed against hers sent electric tingles of sensation throughout her.

Cadence tried not to react to the feel of her against him, the rightness of having her body pressed against his. Dangerous. The pleasure he was experiencing from the feel of her small, soft body, against his was dangerous.

As the horse began to gallop, the rain beat heavily against them. He wrapped his arm around her waist, holding her still against his body, as they rode silently back to Faerchester.

 He wrapped his arm around her waist, holding her still against his body, as they rode silently back to Faerchester

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I got a few messages in my inbox suggesting an adult scene.

How would you guys feel about a spicy scene..? Like an 18+ scene? Hehe...

I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, so if you don't like the idea, let me know!