chapter 43

Chapter 43

(Tessa's POV)

Hardin and I spent the rest of the evening speaking with his mother. Poor Hardin was trying to wrap his mind around why his mother waited so long to tell him of her fatal fate. Somehow I was able to understand Trish's decision.

After being there for almost six hours, Hardin and I decided to leave so that both Trish and the two of us could get some rest. Trish demanded that we return to her home instead of paying for some hotel. When we pulled into the driveway, I saw a two-story home. It was white with a porch that wrapped around the right side and flowers that lined the foot of the house. You could tell that it needed a fresh coat of paint but it was still beautiful. The inside was even better. His mother has a unique sense of style that I happen to love as well. It is artsy with colorful furniture and walls, pictures and paintings, and flowers in glass vases on every surface.

"It looks the same as the day I left," Hardin said. He walked each room examining its contents and softly smiled throughout. "It's a beautiful home, Hardin. You must have had a wonderful time growing up here." He nodded but kept on, not saying much more. The awkwardness had eased to comfortable silence in the car but I can sense that the awkwardness has resurfaced.

"Which is our room?" I ask, eager to sleep. "Up the stairs and to the right, at the end of the hall," Hardin directs me but doesn't make a move to follow so I awkwardly climb the stairs alone. The room is not what I was expecting. It appears that Trish never bothered to change her son's room after he left the nest. The walls are still painted an odd shade of blue, that I am unable to find words to describe, but it somehow is very appealing. There is a wooden chest against the white sidewall that has his name painted on top and little decorations line his dresser, appearing to be action figures of some sort. The only thing I can imagine that has changed is the bed. It is queen-sized with plain gray sheets.

I open one of the drawers on the dresser, taking my chances of finding clothes that fit my adult body, and see all black t-shirts and black skinny jeans that Hardin wears now. I grab a t-shirt and strip of my clothing. As I tug the shirt down my body, I can sense Hardin crossing the threshold. "I see you found some clothes," he said. I nodded. He stripped of his clothing so that he was only in his boxers and then climbed into the bed. I followed on the other side and wrapped myself in the comforter. I kept a fairly large space between us. I couldn't say why but it felt appropriate. Hardin thought otherwise. "Why are you so far away?" He asked.

"I don't know," I said with a shrug of my shoulders. He pulled my body closer to his and wrapped his arms around me. We lay there for ten minutes. I thought he had fallen asleep but then I felt a wet drop on my head. I look up to see Hardin with his eyes closed, but tears streaming down his cheeks. I immediately move my body to cradle and comfort him. I pull his head to lean against my right shoulder and hold him in place. "Hardin," I croak, feeling my own emotions beginning to show.

"My mum is dying, Tess," he whimpers. "I'm so sorry, Hardin."

"My mum...is dying," he repeats slowly as if he isn't believing the words. I lift his head so that he looks me in the eyes. I wipe the tears from his cheeks and rest our foreheads together. "I know you may not want to talk now, but I am here to listen whenever you're ready." He pauses and then wraps me into a hug and whispers against my ear, "Thank you, Tess. I love you."

"I love you, Hardin."

He pulls away and cups my cheeks. I can tell that he wants to kiss me and he does. He kisses me hard. Our lips intertwine and then our tongues fight for dominance. I slowly push him away. "Hardin I don't think this is the right time. Not after what we found out. Not after what you've just been through."