Chapter Forty-Five | Gossip

Start from the beginning

Her aunt's eyes narrowed into thin slits, "Are you unable to hear? I asked you the same question moments ago?"

"It wasn't me," Vivienne said furiously. "I wouldn't even know where to go to speak to this person."

Lady Westmorland did not look convinced, "We will wait for Lord Westmorland to come back before discussing any of this. Until then, stay in your room."

"I do that anyways," Vivienne mumbled underneath her breath.

She ran up the stairs, and instead of heading to her room like her aunt ordered she hesitated before spinning and changing her course towards the dark hallway. As usual, there was nobody there, and the carpet absorbed her footsteps. Vivienne stopped in front of the portrait of her parents, tears glistening in her eyes. She felt as though the walls were closing in on her. Everywhere she went, disaster struck. Her life could have been completely different if her parents lived to see their daughter grow.

"Why are you crying?"

Vivienne leapt into the air, clutching her heart as she screamed. Spinning around, she saw that it was Grayson, "You terrified me," she admitted.

He had been hiding behind a statute which is why Vivienne had not spotted him earlier. Dust coated his shirt and shorts, but his bright green eyes peered up at Vivienne and the painting behind her curiously.

"Who is that?"

"Those," Vivienne said clearing her throat, "Were my parents."

Grayson walked closer until he was by her side. "Where are they now?"

She glanced at the boy, taking a moment to wipe her tears away. "They are in heaven, but they look down upon me every now and then."

Her cousin seemed to ponder her words carefully. "How do you know that if you are here? Do you see them?"

"Well—" Vivienne stumbled, over her words. He was right, she did not know. "I am not certain, but I do like to wish it so."

Grayson looked at her suspiciously before he slipped his small hand into hers. She squeezed it and could not stop her lips from curling upwards slightly. Her cousin was not so heartless after all. She did not want to admit it, but she did feel slightly better after speaking with Grayson. They stood together in the hallway for a long-time after, the silence filling up the space between them comfortably.

***

Vivienne dragged her heels as if it would prevent her from entering the ballroom. Beside her, Lady Westmorland hissed, "Walk faster."

She picked up the pace slightly. If anyone would have told her a couple of days ago that Lady Westmorland would allow her to attend a soiree, she would have been extremely delighted. However, after the gossip column, Vivienne no longer wished to be among the ton. She had already seen the wide eyes and hushed whispers as they walked towards the ballroom. Vivienne loathed that she was going to be the object of everyone's attention this evening.

This was all a part of her uncle's carefully crafted plan. Upon his return, he had ordered his wife to secure an invitation for the both of them and be seen in society with nothing but smiles upon their faces. Vivienne scowled, he should have escorted them tonight but in the last minute, he had claimed to be busy with other work for the crown. Lady Westmorland had thrown a fit, but the Earl had simply said his wife's name in a stern tone before ushering them both in the carriage and sending them off.

Vivienne entered the ballroom and immediately there was a defying silence. Dozens of curious eyes turned her way, as if the evenings entertainment had arrived. If she thought the looks outside had been terrible, they were nothing compared to this. She heard the whispers and giggles from beneath the fans of the ladies. She felt her aunt stiffen beside her, and for a moment, Vivienne felt pity that the countess had been dragged into this scandal, but the feelings evaporated rather quickly.