Chapter Five: Fitting In

My parents said that Edward shouldn't live in the castle anymore, so instead, they said that he should live with us. He was used to the layout of the house because he had been there before.

"Edward, are you alright?" I asked, noticing that he was spacing out a bit.

He looked at me and smiled sadly. "It just brings back so many memories. Of Kim and of what happened."

I smiled. "Well, things are going to be different. We'll take care of you, okay?"

Edward nodded. He then sat down on the couch. Things around the town changed a bit so that everyone could get used to Edward, but soon, he was fitting in perfectly.

Edward spent most of his time at the house thinking on his own. I sometimes wondered what he thought about, but I dared not to bother him.

At times, Edward would be so sad that I became sad for him. I didn't like how he stayed inside most of the time.

A few times, he went out just to trim the bushes or because I asked him to go outside and spend some time with me.

For the most part, Edward was like one of the family members. He fit in with us quite well. And the town actually thought that he was cool. People would sometimes ask him to help them with their bushes and trees, but for the most part, they just admired the work that he did for our yard.

"Edward, why don't you go out more often?" I asked one afternoon.

"Because I'm not like everyone else."

I sighed. "Just because you aren't like everyone else doesn't mean that you should keep yourself locked up in here. No one is exactly like another person."

Edward looked at me. "What if they don't like me, though?"

I smiled at him to cheer him up. "Edward, even if others don't like you, you are my best friend. I will never stop liking you. You are an amazing person and I will never leave your side, okay?"

Edward nodded and smiled slightly. "Thank you, Samantha."

I then realized the reason behind why I wanted to keep Edward safe. It wasn't because of the things that my grandmother had told me. No, it was because I was actually falling in love with Edward.