"I don't know," Suga mumbled, frowning slightly at the rather large stand of bouquets. "They're nice, but Machi doesn't seem like one who would really like flowers." He took a cursory glance around the rest of the small shop, hoping to see something that might spark an interest. "Maybe we can find something else that might actually cheer her up."

Tadashi nodded solemnly and wandered off to the right, down an aisle of even more vases of flowers while Suga went the opposite way back towards the front of the shop. Along the way the shelves slowly switched from flowers to tissue boxes and greeting cards. It wasn't until he had snuck around the front counter did he finally find something that made him stop. A small section of boxed candies had caught his eye, but it was the colorfully wrapped box next to the chocolates he almost reached for that brought a smile to his face. It was perfect, and he knew would make her happier than any type of flower he could pick out.

Swiping the box into his arms, Suga turned to call out for Tadashi, but was pleased to see him already in line to check out, a large stuffed bear in tow. It had a goofy grin stitched on its face with black button eyes and a rainbow T-shirt with the phrase 'I love you Beary much' etched across it, which made Suga laugh and Tadashi blush. "It was the least embarrassing one they had." Tadashi said with a red face, but Suga only joined him in line and gave the first year a pat on the head.

"Don't worry, she'll love it."

Tadashi hugged the stuffed animal a bit closer to his chest. Something told him Suga was right, he didn't have to worry, not anymore.

***

Or at least, that's what he had thought.

Ladened with their purchases, the two volleyball players took their time walking back to the waiting room, not exactly keen to return to the endless time that never seemed to pass in that space. But the closer they got to the waiting room, the faster their pace became when a familiar voice could be heard almost shouting through the quiet.

"What do you mean I'm not allowed to see her? She's my daughter, I have every right to be here!"

"Sir, I understand, however she is still in surgery at the moment, so I can't allow—"

Like always, Reo's voice was so loud and commanding, both Suga and Tadashi could recognize it before even reaching the doors to the waiting room. Now almost running to get there, Suga burst through the doors with Tadashi close behind and found the outraged man arguing with Tadashi's father and a clearly terrified nurse.

"I know she's still in surgery, I'm not stupid!" He bellowed, "I want to know why I am being refused to see her once the surgery is complete!" When the nurse flinched at the volume of the man's voice, Tadashi's father reached out a hand to try and calm his brother-in-law.

"Reo, this isn't necessary right now, why don't we—"

"I don't want to hear your excuses, Hiroshi, I bet this is your doing isn't it?" Reo rounded on the younger man, glaring down at him and jabbing a finger roughly into his shoulder. "You told these idiots not to let me see her, I know it."

"No, that was me."

Suga didn't need to raise his voice, he knew Reo had heard him by the way the room instantly fell silent of the man's barking. Yet even when the man turned his icy gaze on him, Suga remained cooly calm and returned his stare with a sharp glare of his own. "I spoke to her doctor this morning about it, and he agreed you didn't need to be on the list of her approved visitors."

Next to him, Tadashi gulped loudly and tried to tug at Suga's sweater, but the third year didn't budge. A few weeks ago Suga would have never imagined being able to stand his ground like this with Machi's dad; but that was back before Reo knew anything, and before Suga knew how bad it was. Now as the outraged man stalked closer and growled at him, Suga didn't feel afraid anymore, only a fierce hatred boiling to the surface.