56

"You know, Castelobruxo was literally located in the Amazon?" Pedro said.

"You also went to that school for ten years and grew up in the forest. You're new to Hogwarts and the forbidden forest. You don't know this area. Besides people have died in here."

"So why do you come in here so often?"

"Because not many have the courage to follow me unless I invite them with me. It's a nice place for some peace and quiet." She said. "Plus, I'm insane."

"I've noticed." He said dryly.

"I thought I was supposed to be the mean one."

"Maybe you're rubbing off on me."

"Oh, I had no idea you were so malleable. We should probably spend less time together, before you turn into me, permanently."

"You're kind of annoying. It's nice."

"That's contradicting." Alex pointed out.

"I grew up as an only child. It's nice having a cousin."

"You know. I kind of feel the same way, which is why you should go back to Brazil."

"Are you leaving?" He countered.

"This is my home."

"It's also a war zone and your headmaster wants to send you in as a spy."

"Exactly. I have duties. I can't just go."

"I have duties too." Pedro argued. "I'm supposed to be your partner in crime. Part of the order. Make sure you survive, and eventually assure people that you're not actually on the dark side."

"Hermione could do that. And probably convince Harry. Really your position is quite useless."

"I thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to be nice."

"We come in different personalities. If you wanted nice, you should've been related to Hannah."

"That makes no sense." He said in confusion. "That's not how it works."

"I know how it works, idiot. We're here. Have fun." She said and conjured a hammock between two trees.

"What are you doing?"

"Taking a break. I'm exhausted. You take a lot of energy." He rolled his eyes but stayed quiet.

Alex watched him study the plants in front of him and carefully harvest them for a few moments before growing bored. She smirked as an idea dawned on her.

Saph. She connected to the dragon.

Are you visiting today? Saphira asked.

Yes, but not until later. See the person with me?

Yes.

That's my cousin, Pedro. Can you help me scare him.

Saphira let out a deep growl that vibrated through the forest and Pedro jumped up, wand in hand immediately.

"What's that?" He asked.

"What's what?" She asked innocently, her eyes closed.

"Perhaps we should start heading back."

"Why?" She made no move to get up.

"Didn't you hear that sound? I don't want to get eaten."

"I didn't hear a thing. Just get your plants. It's not even dark yet."

"Are you sure it's safe?" He asked.

"Yup. We could stay here all night and emerge unharmed." She said.

The horse man is near you. Saphira warned and Alex's eyes snapped open. She jumped off the hammock and vanished it.

"On second thoughts, get your things. We need to run."

"I thought you just said-"

"I know what I said. Just listen to me."

He picked up his basket but their bickering had wasted precious seconds. By the time she turned to leave, Magorian had arrived.

"Back away slowly." She muttered to Pedro. "Maybe he hasn't seen us."

"You're smarter than that." Magorian said.

"We're too late." She said in resignation.

"Centauro." Pedro recognised.

"This is Magorian. He thinks I'm destined for evil."

"Not quite. The paths we take aren't quite so simple as that."

"He also likes speaking in riddles."

"Please be nice for once in your life. Centaurs are no laughing matter." Pedro begged in Portuguese.

"Relax. I've known him since my first year. I've tried being nice but it's impossible." She responded, before turning back to Magorian. "What are you saying now anyways? Have the stars given you the finer details of my future yet?"

"Things are a little more clearer than they were five years ago. Beware."

"I will. You all keep safe too." She said, a little grudgingly.

"That was strange." Pedro said once Magorian left. "I can't believe we're alive and unharmed."

"Centaurs are weird." She just shrugged and reconjured the hammock. She pulled herself up onto it. "You can carry on, I suppose."

"You are weird." He countered.

They trekked back to the castle, Pedro's basket full of ingredients.
"Well, this was..." he trailed off unable to find the word.

"Fun?" She offered.

"You could say that. I wouldn't, but you could."

"See if I ever offer to be your guide again, then."

"This should last me a little while." He said. She grabbed the basket from his hand. "Give it back."

"Apologise."

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

"It was rhetorical. You remember before when I said you were annoying and it was nice? It's not nice anymore." She laughed. "Give me back my stuff."

"Maybe it's mine now." She smirked. He looked exasperated. He noticed Snape passing them and schooled his face into something more professional. She frowned and looked up. She handed Pedro his basket. "Fine, take it."

"Thank you."

"Okay, I guess I'll see you in class tomorrow."

"Good evening." He nodded and walked away. She headed to her uncle.

"I see you're making friends."

"Not really." She denied.

"Usually, this would be good news." He said. "Thrilling, even. But.. given the timing..."

"I know. Relax, we're not friends. He was just part of the potions schools contest. He would've come in first place if it hadn't been for a last minute booby trap. He's still pretty good at it. He needed some ingredients so I was his guide for a couple hours." Snape stayed silent. "I know how that sounds. But he's just my teacher. And I make fun of him every opportunity I get. The guide thing was really Dumbledore's idea."

"Well, be careful." He warned.

"What's that?" She teased.

A/N- Favourite line is "Back away slowly." She muttered to Pedro. "Maybe he hasn't seen us."