33

"What is wrong with you?" Alex said, slipping into the seat next to Hermione in the library.

"Nothing. What's wrong with you?" Hermione returned.

"You are. Before you came along, I was fine. And then you put all those thoughts in my head."

"You really need to give me context when you talk." Hermione blinked.

"Blaise." Alex groaned. Hermione grinned wide. "He punched Nott. It was brilliant."

"Right, because who wouldn't like two boys fighting for her?"

"Gross, no. Not like that. Nott made some disgusting remarks. And then he said something really awful and Blaise just punched him, and it was sick."

"So Zabini punched Nott and that's got your attention?"

"No, you planted the seed and I've been thinking about him and he's so pretty, not the point, but I've been thinking about what I might feel and then he punched Nott and that didn't cement anything exactly, but it was a different type of pretty. Less pretty boy, more.." Alex sighed. "Anyways, the point is, I wasn't even looking at him any differently until you made me and now I can't stop wondering."

"You should make a move."

"That's the most idiotic advice ever. Blaise literally sleeps with every and any girl he comes across. There's, like, someone new every week."

"So why do you even like him?"

"I don't know. He's funny, I guess. He's a great friend."

"Yeah, but a bad boyfriend."

"I know that." She said. "But he's pretty."

"But he's too pretty, in a very obvious sort of way."

"But I like it. I'm doomed, aren't I?"

"Well, there are plenty of boys in school."

"The make him jealous advice only works if he likes you."

"I'm not saying make him jealous. I'm saying focus your attention elsewhere. Maybe you just need to forget about him for a little while. You spend way too much time around him as it is."

"Look at you. You're like an expert now." Alex grinned. "But there aren't any decent boys in school."

"You say that but you don't know every boy."

"I know the sixth and seventh years. Any younger is too young."

"You realise there's an entire house of boys you've ignored."

"Don't say it-"

"Ravenclaws."

"You said it."

"You shove the entire house into a box because you don't like them much."

"They're mean to Luna. And they produced Cho Chang." At Hermione's look she sighed. "Fine. I'll find one and snog him senseless."

"I was going to say start off with just a study date or something." Hermione looked a little concerned. "Are you okay?"

"My little sister has had more boyfriends than me. And I've only ever kissed one boy. And he's dead. And it's been a couple years. And I don't know if it's okay that I want to kiss someone else." 

"It is. You can't be alone forever." Alex still didn't look convinced. "I am not issuing a challenge. Don't take it as one."

"I wasn't going to." Alex huffed.

"You know beyond the pretty face, why Blaise?"

"I thought you liked Blaise?"

"No no. I don't hate him. I don't like him either, but I don't hate him."

"I don't know." Alex shrugged. "He's Blaise. He's funny and smarter than he looks."

"He's obnoxious."

"No, he's spoiled. There's a difference."

"He's annoying and has mummy issues."

"Not all of us come with the perfect family."

"Alex-"

"Might I remind you that this is your fault. You pointed it out, you get to deal with the consequences. At least I have taste. You love my brother."

"I... we're not talking about me."

"We should. Ron is an idiot and he's mean sometimes. He's mean to you especially a lot of the times. If you ask me, I don't know what you see in him."

"Good thing I didn't ask you. I thought you wanted me and Ron to get together."

"Yeah, but that has nothing to do with Ron. I just want you to be my sister officially, which means you have to marry on of my siblings. Might as well be Ron, which means you have to date him first."

"You've lost it." Hermione said, breaking into laughter.

"I want you to be happy." Alex said. "Even if that comes in the form of my idiot brother."

"I want the same for you. I just don't think Blaise is key to that happiness. I think he'll end up hurting you instead."

"Probably. I'm not going to act on any of this. I've got way too much going on to worry about a boy. Especially a boy like Blaise. But, I can admire him and admit that I think he's easy on the eye."

"Tell me you're not thinking about Dumbledore's offer." She said.

"Horcruxes change the game."

"I can't protect you if you do."

"Maybe it's time I protect you. He's never going to believe it if I let anything happen to you. So I'll say you're my stipulation. I'll join as long as you're safe."

"He won't go for it."

"I don't like it either. But Dumbledore has a plan. Things are going to fall apart. Badly. We'll need all the advantages we can get, and I can protect you. This way, I can keep you safe."

"We keep each other safe, Alex. That's how it's always been. We protect each other."

"Which is why I have to do this."

"It sounds like you've made up your mind."

"I know it's what I have to do. I just don't know if I can."

"You don't have to."

"I do."

"Let's go." Hermione said. "Let's leave, like you said. We'll kidnap Ginny and go to Australia."

"It's a nice dream," Alex said, looking despondent. "But it's just a dream, H."

A/N- Hermione's really ready to abandon ship and run away with Alex 😭😭

Favourite line is "I am not issuing a challenge. Don't take it as one."